Yale University holds one graduation or Commencement ceremony each year at the end of the spring term in May. See here for future years' dates.
- GSAS students who receive degrees in December or May of a given academic year may attend the annual Yale and GSAS Commencement ceremonies in May. See the brief GSAS schedule below, and full Yale Commencement schedule online (will be updated by mid February)
- By April 15, you must complete the required GSAS Commencement Response Form by to tell us if you are attending Commencement in person, and if not, how you would like to receive your diploma (mail/pickup after).
- In general, a GSAS student receiving a the Ph.D. or a terminal Masters degree (MA or MA/MAS as final degree) may march at Commencement to receive a diploma in person.
- Most MA/MS or Mphil degrees conferred en route to the PhD are received via mail or pickup, as you choose on completing the GSAS Commencement form. Students who are receiving en route degrees generally do not march in the commencement processions and receive their diplomas in person at the GS Diploma Ceremony. Email the GS Commencement Team if you have questions about this matter.
- The Office of the Secretary coordinates Commencement activities at Yale and maintains a University Commencement website with information on orders for academic attire, local accommodations for family and friends, parking options, and the schedule of events for alll Yale schools and events.
- The Graduate School arranges for an outside professional photography company, Commencement Photos, to take individual photos of each GSAS student receiving the diploma on stage at Woolsey Hall. These photos are available for graduates and their families to purchase directly from the company afterwards, if desired.
GSAS Commencement Schedule Outline
Free Yale Events Smartphone App for Commencement 2017 Info and Events - coming April 2017
Search for “Yale Events” in the Apple Store or Play Store - download and share with your family and guests!
To find GSAS Schedule in App, select Filter, then Tracks.
GSAS Students who are graduating should begin early to make arrangements for Commencement, particularly travel arrangements for guests. Over 20,000 people attend Yale Commencement exercises each year, and last-minute reservations at hotels, restaurants and other facilities are typically unavailable.
- Ph.D. Students must submit the dissertation by the March deadline to participate in Commencement that May.
- The Graduate School does not permit students to walk “early” if they have not submitted their degree petitions and/or completed dissertations by the May degree deadline, which is in mid-March. Students who submit dissertations after the spring deadline are awarded degrees the following December, and those graduates may participate in the following year’s Commencement exercises in May.
- If you can not attend the ceremonies the year you received your degree, in special circumstances the Graduate School will allow you to participate in the ceremony the following year - email the GS Commencement team to inquire.
Late March or early April is the deadline to pre-order academic attire (caps, gowns and hoods) online or by mail from the Yale cap and gown agency.
- The Yale cap and gown agency sells retainable gowns, caps and hoods for each degree. These affordable gowns only come in black and are not suitable for repeated use.
- If you miss the deadline, last-minute late orders are available in person at the gym during Commencement weekend (cash only, late fee applies). Please see the details for the cap and gown agency online under “missed deadlines.”
Custom Yale Gowns, caps and hoods - To purchase “Yale blue” custom regalia, and velvet tams, contact Yale-licensed provider Oak Hall well in advance.
All students who are receiving a degree in a given year must complete the Graduate School’s online GS Commencement Response Form by the deadline to indicate whether they plan to attend the diploma ceremony in Woolsey Hall (or at Horchow Hall for Jackson Institute) and, if not, where they want their diplomas to be sent. For those with degrees awarded in December who indicate they are NOT participating in Commencement exercises the following May, the University Diploma office will begin to mail out diplomas in the spring term.
Graduating international students whose family members require formal invitations to Commencement for the purpose of obtaining a visa should request an invitation letter using the online request form of the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS).
All degree recipients are encouraged to become involved in Yale’s active alumni community. The Association of Yale Alumni ( AYA) and the Graduate School Alumni Association (GSAA) sponsor many opportunities for alumni to remain connected to the University through learning and service, including a career network, alumni groups throughout the world, special events, and occasions to volunteer and provide leadership. The Yale Alumni website details a full range of alumni programs and resources you can use.
- All GSAS alumni are eligible for a free lifetime subscription to the Yale Alumni Magazine.
- For those receiving a final Yale degree, your Yale email is extended to June 1 of the year following your graduation in May (June 1, 2018 for 2016-17 grads). Contact ITS user accounts for information as needed.
- To receive this and other alumni communications from AYA and the Graduate School, please update your contact information using the online alumni directory or by email.