University Commencement & GSAS Diploma Ceremony - Monday
The University Commencement ceremony is held in May on Monday morning on Old Campus, with the Graduate School’s main diploma ceremony immediately following at Woolsey Hall, at about 12:15pm. No tickets are required for either of these events, for graduates or guests.
Graduates - Tell us if you're attending - All GSAS graduating students must fill out the GSAS Commencement Response form by April 15 to march and participate in the Ceremonies, or to tell us you will NOT be attending and where to mail your diploma.
University Commencement Ceremony - 10:30am, full schedule and info
On Monday morning, graduates march in caps, gowns and hoods. They sit by school or college for the ceremonial awarding of degrees and awarding of University honorary degrees.
- Livestream & Videotape - The University Ceremony is videotaped and livestreamed for real-time and post-event viewing online at the Commencement website.
- At this Ceremony - Yale degrees are officially conferred here at the University Ceremony, with graduating students sitting in front sections by school. Individual students do NOT go on stage to receive their diplomas at the Old Campus ceremony. Each Yale School and College has its own diploma awarding ceremony immedicately following the Old Campus Ceremony.
- Old Campus Guests - 15,000 guests may sit or stand on Old Campus - tickets are not required and seating is not reserved; handicapped access is available. Guests are encouraged to go to Old Campus early in the morning to find seats before the procession begins at 10:00am.
Graduate School Diploma Ceremony (GSAS including Engineering/SEAS)- about 12:15pm, immediately following University Ceremony on Old Campus
- GSAS Ceremony Video Livestream and online - The Graduate School Diploma Ceremony at Woolsey Hall is videotaped and livestreamed for viewing online at Youtube and at the GSAS Commencement website here. Family and guests who can not attend can watch you get your diploma at the GSAS Ceremony in real time and afterwards.
- Graduate Seating - At Woolsey Hall, all GSAS graduates sit by department in the center section of the ground floor, and go up on stage one by one to receive their diploma from the Dean.
- Only Graduates who have indicated on the GSAS Response form that they are attending the Woolsey Hall Ceremony are assigned individually numbered seats, arranged alphabetically in the Woolsey center section front to back by department (A- S). A seating chart is emailed to participating graduates on the Friday before Commencement, and available only on the day of Commencement at HGS and at Woolsey Hall.
- Guest seating - Family and guests may sit on the sides and balconies of Woolsey Hall in open unreserved seating; some handicapped and wheelchair access seating is available. No tickets are required.
- Who attends - In general, GSAS students receiving PhDs or terminal Masters degrees (MA/MAS, MS) may march at Commencement to receive diplomas in person on stage; MA/MS or Mphil degrees conferred en route to the PhD usually are received via mail or pickup, as designated on the required GSAS Commencement Form (due April 15), but PhD students may choose to march for these degrees if desired.
- Yale GSAS has no formal “hooding ceremony,” due to the large number of graduates each year. Some students hold their own informal hooding photo-ops with family and classmates before the morning ceremonies.
Global Affairs MA/MAS Ceremony, Jackson Institute - Please note that the Global Affairs master’s degree programs of the Jackson Institute in the Graduate School holds a separate diploma ceremony at Horchow Hall on Hillhouse Avenue. Contact staff at Jackson for information.