The Graduate School has established and continues to develop formal exchanges with a number of institutions internationally in cases where there are reciprocal academic benefits for faculty and graduate students. Students interested in pursuing one of these exchanges should contact Dean Jasmina Besirevic Regan.
International scholarly exchanges provide graduate students with a variety of opportunities that broaden academic horizons. Whether the underlying reason for participating in an exchange resides in mastering course content in another language, visiting archives, collections, and fellow scholars first hand, or learning new methodologies that will inform the dissertation, students benefit from a period of study at one of the many host institutions with which we have formal agreements.
Who may apply:
Students who wish to engage solely in coursework or a combination of coursework and research may be admitted to the Division of Special Registration (DSR) as Exchange Scholars. Admission as an Exchange Scholar varies from a month up to one year. Exchange Scholars are enrolled in the Graduate School and have all the student privileges, including receiving a Yale transcript with coursework and grades listed. Students enrolled as Exchange Scholars may enroll in up to four courses per term, for a maximum of two terms (one year). They are not eligible for financial aid or student loans.
Prospective applicants to this program should first contact the department to which they wish to apply for more information and specific eligibility requirements. Students should have permission from the department to apply before submitting your application. If you have any questions or concerns about receiving this permission please contact Dean Jasmina Besirevic Regan.
Before starting your application, please note the following:
- All documents must be in English.
- You must have permission of the program.
- You may apply to enroll for up to one year.
- All materials in support of your application must be uploaded to the application prior to submission.
- Please adhere to the deadline set by the exchange agreement (note that most deadlines for the fall term are in early spring and for the spring term in early October).
- International Applicants: your application must be submitted no later than 60 days prior to your intended start date for visa purposes.
- US Citizens/Permanent Residents: your application must be submitted no later than 30 days prior to your intended start date.
To submit an application, you will be asked to provide the following:
- A proposed study and the name of your Yale faculty member who will act as your advisor.
- A statement of purpose of 500-1000 words describing your past work, your preparation for the proposed study and/or research at Yale.
- All prior study institutions at the higher education level.
- Enrollment verification of your graduate degree program.
- A letter of recommendation from your academic advisor who can evaluate your academic work, intellectual ability, or academic potential for graduate work.
- A letter of nomination from your home institution from an administrator who manages international exchanges.
- Proof of health insurance.
- An updated resume or curriculum vitae.
- International applicants must also provide a proof of sufficient funding to cover living expenses while at Yale.
All documentation must be in English.