To be eligible to apply for a waiver of the application fee you must be a U.S. citizen or a U.S. permanent resident visa holder. Non-U.S. citizens are not eligible to apply for a fee waiver.
The deadline to request a fee waiver has passed.
Applications to the non-degree programs are not eligible for a fee waiver.
All individuals meeting the eligibility requirements who wish to be considered for a waiver of the application fee must follow the directions given below for the appropriate option.
Prior to the approval of your fee waiver, you must have started an application. Your Fee Waiver Request Form and any supporting documents should be emailed to us before the December 1, 2016 deadline. If you are applying to a program with a December 1st deadline your Fee Waiver Request Form should be submitted well in advance of that deadline. Do not submit your application until a decision has been made on your Fee Waiver Request. If you submit your application paying the application fee and your Fee Waiver Request is approved we will not refund the application fee.
Download the Fee Waiver Request form, fill in the appropriate sections, select “save as” and save the document in Adobe Reader to your computer and attach the saved Fee Waiver Request Form to an email, along with any supporting documents. Do not scan or alter this form in any way.
If you are using a Mac computer please make sure you save the form in Adobe Reader and NOT in Preview, if it is saved in Preview this will delay your fee waiver request since we will not be able to view the content of the form.
Fee Waiver Request forms are non-transferrable. If your personal information was not filled in, please do so before signing and sending the form to us.
Please review the three options below to determine if you are eligible to apply for a waiver of the application fee.
Option A: Fellowship Recipients*
Participants in certain fellowship programs and recipients of certain fellowship funds do not have to pay the application fee but the request for a fee waiver and all supporting documents must be received, processed and approved, before the December 1, 2016 deadline and prior to the submission of their application. If you participated in, or are receiving funding from one of the programs listed below, you must complete a Fee Waiver Request form (see link at the top right of this page) and send it, along with appropriate program documentation and dates of participation. Do not submit your application until a decision has been made on your request. If you have already submitted your application then you will be refunded the application fee but refunds can take several weeks to process.
- Bill and Melinda Gates Millennium Scholar.
- Clare Mellon Fellowship recipient.
- Henry Fellowship recipient.
- Institute for International Public Policy (IIPP).
- McNair Fellowship recipient.
- National Society of Black Physicists (NSBP).
- National Society of Hispanic Physicists (NSHP).
- National Consortium for Graduate Degrees for Minorities in Engineering and Science/GEM Fellow.
- Institute for Recruitment of Teachers/IRT participant.
- Minority Access to Research Careers/MARC participant.
- Yale SURF/Yale Leadership Alliance participant.
- Participant in a formal exchange program between Yale and another institution.
- PPIA Fellowship recipient.
- Pickering Foreign Affairs Fellowship recipient.
- Veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces (Yellow Ribbon Eligible).
- Vietnam Education Foundation Fellowship recipients.
Option B: Recruitment Event Attendees*
If you are applying to the Combined Program in the Biological and Biomedical Sciences (BBS) or Chemistry and received a pre-coded Fee Waiver Request form from a recruitment event or via a targeted mailing, or if you received a signed Fee Waiver Request form from a Yale Graduate School recruitment or ODEO Event, you must provide that form. If your request for a fee waiver is received, processed and approved prior to December 1, 2016 and you have not submitted your application, you will not be prompted for payment of the fee when you do submit your application. If you have already submitted your application then you will be refunded the application fee but refunds can take some time to process.
Option C: Demonstrated Financial Hardship
If you are not a participant in one of the above options you may still be eligible for an application fee waiver. You must meet the criteria and include the required documentation as listed on the Fee Waiver Request form. If you are applying to a program with a December 1st deadline you must submit your Fee Waiver Request well in advance of that date in order for your request to be reviewed and processed.
On the Fee Waiver Request form you must indicate the basis for your request. These are:
- U.S. citizen/U.S. permanent resident with financial hardship documented by an attached letter from your undergraduate university financial aid officer.
- U.S. citizen/U.S. permanent resident with financial hardship documented by completing page 2 of the Fee Waiver Request form. You must include a statement of prior education loans.
Important Information for all applicants*