To be eligible to apply for a waiver of the application fee you must be a U.S. citizen or a U.S. permanent resident visa holder. Non-U.S. citizens are not eligible to apply for a fee waiver. Applicants to non-degree programs are not eligible for a fee waiver.
Please review the two options below to determine if you are eligible to apply for a waiver of the application fee.
Special Program, Event, Fellowship, or Status
Some applicants may be eligible for a fee waiver on the basis of participation in a program, event, fellowship, or other eligible status. Qualified programs are listed below. You will need to provide documentation of your participation/affiliation and also dates or participation on your fee waiver request form.
- American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES)
- Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students (ABRCMS)
- Bill and Melinda Gates Millennium Scholar
- BP-Endure Program
- Collegiate Science and Technology Entry Program (CSTEP)
- Henry Roe Cloud Dissertation Fellowship
- Institute for Recruitment of Teachers (IRT)
- Laureates & Leaders (MIT)
- Leadership Alliance
- LEDA Scholars
- Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (LSAMP)
- McNair Fellowship
- Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship Program (MMUF)
- Minority Access to Research Centers (MARC)
- Minority Biomedical Research Support Program (MBRS) / Research Initiative for Scientific Enhancement (RISE)
- National Consortium for Graduate Degrees for Minorities in Engineering and Science/GEM Fellow
- National Society of Black Physicists (NSBP)
- National Society of Hispanic Physicists (NSHP)
- Pickering Foreign Affairs Fellowship
- Public Policy & International Affairs (PPIA)
- QuestBridge Scholars
- Sarah Pettit Fellowship
- Active Duty or Veterans with Honorable Discharge in U.S. Armed Forces
Documented Financial Hardship
Applicants with documented financial hardship may be eligible for a fee waiver. On the fee waiver request form you will be asked detailed financial information that will be evaluated in processing your request. You will be asked to provide documentation, which may include:
- A letter from your undergraduate university financial aid officer
- Statements of liabilities including prior education loans
Fee Waiver Request - Instructions
Please follow the directions below to request a fee waiver.
- Start your Ph.D. or Master's application (available on August 15)
- Fill out the Fee Waiver Request Form (available August 31-December 1)
- The Fee Waiver Request Form must be submitted by December 1.
- Once we have reviewed your request, you will receive an email within 5-7 business days indicating if you have been granted a waiver. If you are not granted a fee waiver, you will need to pay the application fee in order to submit your application.
Do not submit your application fee until your Fee Waiver request has been processed and you have received a reply. Paid application fees will not be refunded.