Skip to main content

Checklist for GSAS Students Entering 2017

Welcome to the Yale Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS)

We are excited that you are joining our graduate community.

Here's this checklist, general preparations and information, and details on required GSAS Orientation to help you get ready to start at Yale. Please carefully review this checklist and take actions as needed.

New Student Questions? Email the Office of Graduate Student Life at the McDougal Center, or call 203-432-BLUE (203-432-2583).


Required Actions - for degree-seeking new GSAS students

BY MAY 31 - Complete online form to get a new Yale student ID card.  

ACTION: BY MAY 31, upload a photo for your Yale ID card on the ID Card Photo Upload web page (live in Spring 2017). Log in with your Yale NetID, which you received in the admissions process along with instructions for activating it.

WHEN DO YOU GET YOUR YALE ID? At GSAS Orientation in mid-August at GSAS, but only if you uploaded your photo BY MAY 31, and have met the pre-enrollment requirements (see below). Yale IDs are not issued before Orientation (exceptions are made for official early start programs - ELP, Math Camp, lab rotation). Temporary IDs are not issued.

  • Meet the pre-enrollment requirements. To get your Yale ID card at Orientation, you must meet the pre-enrollment requirements for transcripts, health forms, and I-9 documentation (see Items 2, 5 and 6 below)
  • If you have a Yale ID from an earlier time, you will have to renew it in person at the ID Center after you have checked in during Orientation. (You will only have a Yale ID if you were previously enrolled as a Yale undergraduate or as a graduate student in another Yale graduate program, or perhaps were a staff member.)

Spouse/Partner Yale ID. You can apply for a Yale Affiliate ID card for your legally married spouse or civil-union partner at the ID Center after the end of Fall Term course registration (mid-September). See grad student spouse/partner resources for more information.

BY May 31 - Submit forms for your health history and vaccination record.  

ACTION: Submit forms required to meet state and Yale Health pre-enrollment regulations.

  • Submit “Vaccination Record” and “Health Form and Physical Exam” forms to Yale Health by the deadline. Download the required forms from the Yale Health New Graduate and Professional Student Forms page. Note that these forms must be completed by your physician/health care provider.
  • Send them in - You or your health care provider can mail in the forms or you may make a high-resolution scan and email them as an attachment to
  • Connecticut state law requires that all students admitted to any university in Connecticut must comply with state immunization regulations. You must submit your vaccination record as a Yale university pre-enrollment requirement, even if you plan to waive Yale Health hospitalization/specialty coverage.
  • If your forms are late, incomplete or not submitted? If you do not submit the required health forms by May 31, your check-in at GSAS orientation will be incomplete and you will be placed on “registration hold”: you will not receive your Yale ID until you clear your hold. Until the required forms and vaccination record have been submitted and reviewed for compliance, your registration and course enrollment may be held up, too. Please submit forms by or as close to the deadline as possible to avoid problems.
  • Pre-enrollment requirements. You are financially responsible for all pre-enrollment vaccinations, health examinations and blood tests as these are NOT covered under your Yale Health student coverage.
  • Getting required immunizations and tests in the New Haven area. If you are unable to get the required shots or tests prior to arriving in New Haven, see the list of off-campus vaccination locations. Any immunizations or tests to meet pre-entrance requirements are not covered by Yale Health and are your financial responsibility.
  • August 18, 2017 GSAS new student Yale Health coverage begins.
  • Questions, including questions about late form submission? Email Yale Health at

BY JULY 1 - Learn about the Yale eBill-ePay system and student accounts.  

ACTION: Learn to use the Yale eBill-ePay online billing and payment system.

Students should go to and review the pull-down menus “Understanding Your Bill” and “Paying your Bill”.

Academic charges such as tuition, room, board, library fines, late course change charges, and optional items such as parking fees and guest meals all appear on the monthly student account statement.  All charges for which you do not receive a fellowship must be paid by the end of each month.

BY JULY 1 - Read the Graduate School Financial Aid FAQ  - learn about stipends, fellowships, payroll deduction, direct deposit and taxes.  

ACTION: Review the Graduate School Financial Aid Office FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) for details on stipends, fellowships, payroll deduction, taxes and more.

  • Review Stipend information if receiving a semi-monthly (every 2 weeks) stipend payment from Yale.
    • The first stipend for new students is paid on August 31, so plan to have sufficient funds available in a bank account or on a credit/debit card for your startup expenses beforehand. For security we urge you NOT to bring large amounts of cash in bills.
    • Learn how to setup direct deposit of your stipend payment into your bank account. Starting September 1, you can access the system to setup Direct Deposit (payment elections). Direct deposit will begin after your first stipend check is delivered to your department.
  • Review Tax information for graduate students who are US citizens and permanent residents or who are International students.

More info or questions? See the Graduate School Financial Aid Office web page  for more information; email GSAS Financial Aid or call 203-432-2739.

BY JULY 15 - Send your transcripts to the Graduate School.  

ACTION: You must provide an official transcript documenting your receipt of a bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) or its foreign equivalent. You must also provide any other transcripts documenting the award of other degrees (e.g., M.A., M.S., Ph.D.) and coursework completed that were cited in your application for admission.

  • Official Transcripts. Whether or not you uploaded a transcript to your application at the time of submission of your application, you must have official transcripts sent directly to the Graduate School from the issuing institution(s). If your transcripts and degree certifications were issued in languages other than English, you must submit certified, literal and complete English translations of those documents.

All transcripts must be submitted BY JULY 15 to the following mailing address:

Graduate School Office of Admissions
Yale University
P.O. Box 208323
New Haven, CT 06520-8323

  • Certified Electronic Transcripts. If your institution issues certified/ authenticated electronic transcripts, they should be sent BY JULY 15 to Do NOT use this email address for traditional paper-based transcripts or any other form of your transcript.
  • Questions? Delayed Transcripts? If you anticipate delays in providing these materials or have questions regarding this process, contact the Graduate School Admissions Office PRIOR TO JULY 15, using only the word “Transcript” in the subject line of your email.

AUG 18 - NEW 2017 GSAS STUDENT HEALTH COVERAGE BEGINS - Learn about your Yale Health coverage

ACTION:  Learn about health care coverage options offered by Yale Health and choose from the coverage options outlined below.

  • Read the Yale Health Student Guide and the Yale Health Student Handbook for a complete description of the coverage and options. Download the documents from the Yale Health page “Understand Your Coverage.”
  • Read the Yale Health Student Health FAQto learn more about your coverage.
  • Learn about coverage and options at GSAS Orientation. Yale Health info sessions will be scheduled at Orientation, so sign up for one if interested.

Yale Health Student Coverage. This is a condensed version of information provided on the Yale Health “Understand Your Coverage” page.

  • Basic Coverage. This is provided to you free of charge if you are enrolled at least half-time in M.A., M.S., and Ph.D. programs.  As a registered student, you are automatically enrolled in Yale Health Basic Coverage and do NOT need to take further action for individual coverage. With Basic Coverage, you are covered free of charge for the following services, even if you have waived Yale Health Hospitalization coverage: Acute Care, Gynecology, Health Education programs, Inpatient Care, Laboratory Services, Mental Health and Counseling, Nutrition Counseling, Student Health.
  • Hospitalization/Specialty Care Coverage. As a student, you also are automatically enrolled in and billed for Hospitalization/Specialty Care Coverage, unless you elect to waive this coverage BY SEPTEMBER 15 (see below, BY 9/15: COVERAGE WAIVER DUE DATE). Prescription coverage is included in Hospitalization/Specialty coverage.
  • Health Award for Ph.D. students, Spouses/Partners and Dependent Children. Eligible Ph.D. students also receive a health award funded by the Graduate School, which covers the full cost of single-student Hospitalization/Specialty Coverage, half the cost of the two-person full coverage fee for a spouse/civil union partner, and the full cost for family coverage that includes dependent children up to age 26. The award comes in the form of a credit on your online SFAS student account bill.

9/15 - Due Date - Yale Health Enrollment Deadline for Dependent Spouse/Partner and/or children - see later section

9/15- Due Date for enrolling in Optional Dental and Eye Care coverage for G&P students and families (fee) - see later section

QUESTIONS? Visit the Yale Health page Students Always Ask Us… FAQ for answers to your questions about health care coverage and options, or contact Yale Health Member Services. Direct your questions specifically regarding the Health Award to the Graduate School’s Office of Financial Aid.

Request a Yale Health Card. As a registered student, you do NOT need a member card to access services at the Yale Health Center on campus. Request a Yale Health member card using this form, as a card is useful when traveling out-of-state to access worldwide emergency coverage though Yale Health.

AUG 21 - 2017 GSAS CHECK-IN DATE - Bring documents to complete Federal Form I-9 at Orientation Check-in at HGS (320 York Street)

ACTION: At GSAS Check-in, bring with you original, unexpired documents as listed  — either one document from List A – OR – one document each from Lists B and C.

International students selecting from List A should bring Form I-94, I-20 or DS-2019 along with the passport.

WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT? You must bring these forms to Check-in at  GSAS Orientation. If you do not complete your required I-9 form, your check-in at GSAS orientation will be incomplete. You will not receive your Yale ID, and you will not be able to register for classes until this is complete.

Late Checkin Aug. 22-31 weekdays: If you can not check-in as required with GSAS on August 21 for some unusual reason, please email McDougal Graduate Student Life to explain and request late check-in. There will be late check-in at the University Registrar office, 246 Church Street, Mon- Fri, 9am-4pm. The process may take longer to complete than on the main check-in day.

AUG 31 - First GSAS Stipend payment for new students.

See GSAS Financial Aid FAQfor info on stipends, taxes and more. Plan to bring sufficient funds to cover your start-up expenses before stipends are issued.

AUG 31 - Direct Deposit and Payslip Information

Beginning August 31, you can login to Workday to setup Direct Deposit.  See Workday for Students information to get started.

BY SEP 15 - DUE DATE - Yale Health Coverage Waivers and/or Family Member Enrollment

9/15 - Due Date to waive Yale Health Hospitalization/Specialty Care online, or accept it and pay any fees if needed. As a full-time student, you are automatically enrolled in and billed for Yale Health Hospitalization/Specialty Care Coverage, unless you elect to waive this coverage using the form online BY SEPTEMBER 15 Prescription coverage is included in Hospitalization/Specialty coverage. The YHP Student waiver form is usually available for the fall term from July -Sept. 15 only.

9/15 - Yale Health Enrollment Deadline for Students' Dependent Spouse/Partner and/or children - Choose Coverage for Spouse, Civil Union Partner, and/or Dependent Children. To enroll a lawfully married spouse or civil union partner and/or a legally dependent child under the age of twenty-six in Yale Health coverage, you must complete and submit the form(s) required for their enrollment BY SEPTEMBER 15 each year. If you are an eligible Ph.D. student, the GSAS Health Award applies (see above under “Health Award”). For enrolling GSAS family members who submit the forms in advance, coverage BEGINS AUGUST 18. If you submit forms BETWEEN AUGUST 19 AND SEPTEMBER 15, coverage begins when the enrollment form is processed by Yale Health.

BY SEP 15 - DUE DATE - Signup for Optional Dental and/or Eye Care coverage from outside providers.  

ACTION: Review and enroll in optional plans online as desired. Coverage for dental care and for eye care is available to graduate and professional students and their family members through outside (non-Yale Health) providers. See Graduate and Professional Dental and Eye Care Coverage  for plan information and fees. Updated info and plan fees for 2017-18 will be posted here by August 1.  NOTE: These optional plans are NOT covered by the GS Health Awards or Yale Health Coverage, and are your financial responsibility if you choose them.