Skip to main content

An official transcript or final official transcript is required only after an offer of admission is extended to you and you accept that offer.

For admitted students only:

Final official transcripts may be traditional paper transcripts or certified electronic transcripts. In either case they are sent to us only from the issuing institution or its authorized agent. If your institution is able to send a certified electronic transcript it should be sent to:

This address is for institutional use only. Transcripts sent to this address by you (unless they are certified electronic transcripts) will be automatically deleted.

If your institution will be mailing a traditional paper transcript to us it must be mailed to:

The Office of Graduate Admissions
P.O. Box 208323
New Haven, CT 06520-8323

Or for overnight courier:

Yale Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
The Office of Graduate Admissions
320 York Street
Room 118
New Haven, CT 06520

If you have traditional paper transcripts (considered final official transcripts) still in their sealed institutional envelope - we will accept them, but they must be mailed to us.

Please Note: No transcript sent by you as an attachment to an email will be accepted under any conditions.

  • A record of your academic performance is required for each institution you list in the Prior Study section of the application. 
    1. This academic record must be uploaded to your online application. 
    2. An academic record can be
      • A scanned copy of a transcript or an academic record from the institution’s Student Information System (SIS) Portal. 
      • An “issued to student” transcript.
      • A certified electronic transcript in PDF form.
    3. When uploading an academic record from your institutions SIS portal, please be certain that it contains the institution name, course names, grade information, and any academic comments. If not, then please upload a copy of your official transcript.
    4. Do not mail, or have mailed, any paper-based transcript to us or to your program until you have been offered admission and have accepted that offer.
  • If you have listed a study abroad institution, and you check the box indicating your additional college/university is a Study Abroad/Summer Abroad Course of Study,
    1. A separate record of your academic performance is not required if the information appears on a transcript (or academic record) of, for instance, your baccalaureate degree transcript.
    2.  If your record of academic performance is not on the transcript of your baccalaureate degree college, then you should not check the box and should upload a transcript.
  • If you are pursuing a double major and have listed the same institution twice, please upload the same transcript for both entries.

We define an unofficial transcript as any academic record you are in possession of, such as

  • A transcript issued to you 
  • A record of your academic performance obtained from your institutions SIS portal

Please Note: All academic records uploaded to your online application are treated as unofficial. This status is automatically assigned and has no bearing on the status of your application or forwarding it to your designated program nor the review of your application.

We define an official transcript as a transcript received by us directly from the issuing institution (whether on paper, still in its sealed envelope, or a certified electronic copy) properly signed/authenticated.

An official transcript is only required once an offer of admission has been extended to you and accepted by you.

We define a final official transcript as a transcript received directly from the issuing institution (whether on paper and still in the envelope or a certified electronic copy) that is properly signed/authenticated.

  • If this transcript is in support of your baccalaureate degree granting institution, it will indicate the award of the baccalaureate degree (or its foreign equivalent). If this transcript is in support of a prior study institution from which you received an advanced degree, it will indicate the award of that degree. Final official transcripts are only required once an offer of admission is accepted.
  • If this transcript is in support of an advance degree program that you have completed at the same or another institution, it will indicate the award of that degree.
  • If this transcript is in support of work taken in a non-degree program, it will contain all coursework taken.

A final official transcript is only required if you have been offered admission and have accepted that offer.

Please Note: Your final official transcript will be reviewed and compared to any transcript or academic record uploaded in support of your application.

Please follow these steps:

  1. Log into your on-line application.
  2. Select Application For Admission.
  3. From the navigational bar, under Forms, select Fall Term Grade Report.
  4. Enter your coursework and grades and save the page.
  5. From the navigational bar, under important links, select Downloadable Forms.
  6. Verify that the data contained in the form is correct (if not, return to the Fall Term Grade Report page to make your corrections) and save the form to your desktop.
  7. Return to the Fall Term Grade Report page within your online application and upload the Fall Term Grade Report form (PDF) under Fall Term Upload.
  8. Save the page and log out of your online application.
  9. Your Fall Term Grade Report form will automatically be associated with your online application and available for review by admissions committee members.

Your transcripts are received as soon as you upload them to the application.

Status information, however, requires an overnight update process.


  • If you feel they positively support your application, then these documents may be uploaded to your application in the Certificate section of your online application.
  • Do not upload these or any other materials in the Prior Study section.

Yes and No. 

  • During the application process you must upload your academic record/transcript. It can be a certified electronic transcript you may have been issued by your institution.
  • If you have been offered admissions and accept that offer and your institution does provide electronic transcripts, then they must be sent from the institution to

Please Note: Transcripts sent to this address from applicants who have not been offered admission will be deleted.


  • You should not attempt to modify the information reflected on the academic record downloaded from your institution’s SIS Portal. 
  • If there are errors you must have those errors corrected before downloading the record.


A traditional paper or electronic transcript is neither required nor necessary for the review of your application. 

As described above, a record of your academic performance is required and must be uploaded to your online application. 

We do not accept transcripts in any form sent via post or email during the initial application review process.


You should not send any transcripts to us.

You must upload a copy of your transcript or academic record prior to submitting your application.

Only if you are offered admission and accept that offer, should you then have an official and/or final official transcript sent to us.


You must upload your academic record to your application prior to submission.

Any transcript received by mail will be discarded.


Academic records, such as those frequently available to enrolled students from an institutional Student Information System portal, can be uploaded.

However, please make certain that such an academic record contains course identifiers, names, and grades or consider uploading a scanned copy of your transcript.

In addition, if your institution uses, as an institutional identification number, your Social Security Number, please ensure that you obscure (using whiteout or a black marker) that number before scanning and uploading to your application.


Please upload a copy of your academic record/scanned copy of your transcript, which is required in order to submit your application.

  • We are unable to accommodate and will not accept/process transcripts sent to us via mail or email whether from an applicant or from an institution.
  • Do not self prepare your own transcript. Doing so will significantly delay the processing of your application.


If you are offered admission, and you accept that offer, please send a final official transcript for each prior study institution you listed in your online application, prior to matriculation.


If your original transcript is in a language other then English, please upload both the original and the translation.


While it is preferred that any academic record you upload to your application contain the institution name and a ‘legend,’ we understand that this is not always possible for academic records from institutional portals.

If you have or can obtain an unofficial copy of your transcript, you can upload that instead.


  • The evaluation must contain course and grade information, however. 
  • Please note, that if you are offered admission and accept that offer, an original transcript will be required directly from the issuing institution.


Seven women graduated from Yale with Ph.D. degrees.