Skip to main content

International Student Resources

Whether you study a region of the world, speak a foreign language, or are a student from outside the United States, there are many resources for you here at Yale. Over one-third of Graduate School students are international, so the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS) and the University provide many resources specifically designed for you and your family. Yale University is a global university and with many services and centers focused on global issues and regions around the world, with research and study programs in many countries. 

The Office of International Students & Scholars (OISS

OISS is responsible for the general welfare of international students at Yale and serves as a resource on immigration matters for the Yale community and Yale’s liaison to U.S. federal agencies. The office provides advice and space at the International Center and plans programs for the international community of students, scholars, and family members.  

Each year, OISS staff and McDougal Graduate Student Life (GSL) International Fellows plan interesting and practical events open to the entire Yale community. From September through May, OISS sends a weekly email with important information and reminders. All international students are automatically subscribed, so please read it carefully.

  • New GSAS students should see OISS New Student site for immigration document, travel and arrival information. You are required to check in with the OISS office upon arrival in the U.S.A.

English Language Instruction Program ​(ELP)

The Graduate School works with the English Language Program (ELP) of the Yale Center for Language Study (CLS) to provide English language support to meet the professional development needs of international students who are non-native speakers of English. The ELP offers non-credit English courses in academic speaking, writing, presentation and vocabulary during the academic year.

  • ELP Summer Academic Language Program is a 3-week program in August. Some entering GSAS degree students are required to participate in ELP in August prior to New Student Orientation. Invitations are sent with GSAS admissions letters.

Taxes, Social Security Numbers & Legal Issues

Tax Information is available on GSAS Funding and Aid pages for International Students.

OISS Legal and Tax Filing Information provides detailed information and helpful tools for filing your annual US tax return, obtaining a US Social Security numbers and other legal issues for international students.

The MacMillan Center for International & Area Studies at Yale

The Whitney and Betty MacMillan Center for International and Area Studies is the University’s principal agency for encouraging and coordinating teaching and research on international affairs, societies, and cultures.

  • As a citizen of a country or region, or a student studying the issues and languages of these regions, you can sign up for email lists and attend MacMillan Center events.
  • The MacMillan Center has competitive grants for research and language study.

Yale Office of International Affairs (OIA

The Yale OIA serves as an administrative resource to support the international activities of all schools, departments, offices, centers, and organizations at Yale. It promotes Yale and its faculty to international audiences and increases the visibility of Yale’s international activities around the globe.