The McDougal Center has services and facilities designed specifically for GSAS Graduate School students and their families. Created in 1997 through a generous gift from the late Alfred McDougal ’53 and his wife Nancy Lauter, its mission extends beyond the Graduate School throughout Yale and New Haven. It's a place for graduate students and a collection of grad student-focused service offices that help you make the most of your life inside and outside of the classroom, library, and lab at Yale.
135 Prospect Street - New Center Location - As of September 2017, the McDougal Graduate Student Center's interim home is a renovated space at 135 Prospect Street (Founders Hall, corner Sachem) near Hillhouse Avenue and at the bottom of Science Hill. The McDougal Center is an on-campus home base for Graduate School students outside their lab or library. It's the place for many grad activities and services, and hosts most major GSAS community events from Orientation to Commencement. GSAS PhD and masters students, their spouses-partners and accompanied guests welcome at the McDougal Center via Prox ID access.
- Facilities - Common Room with informal space for grad socializing, study and dining; a nearby program room for events
- Offices for McDougal GSL Staff and Fellows, OCS (Careers) staff, and OGSDD Diversity Fellows
- Other Center Resources.
The McDougal Center Endowment in GSAS supports the Center facilities, and the programs and McDougal Fellows of 5 collaborating offices to serve graduate students. Each office has professional staff and many McDougal Fellows, or graduate student peer leaders, who provide programs and services to serve Graduate School students like you:
- Graduate Student Life (GSL) at the McDougal Center has McDougal Graduate Student Life Fellows who organize fun and useful events and services to meet your needs and interests throughout your time at Yale as a graduate student. *Fellows Office @ McDougal Center.
- Graduate School Office for Graduate Student Development and Diversity (OGSDD) operates collaboratively with departments and programs to proactively recruit and support the needs of diverse students' *Office in McDougal Center
- Office of Career Strategy (OCS), Office of GSAS Graduate Student and Postdoctoral services provides career advice for students in a variety of career fields. *Satellite OCS Office @ McDougal Center.
- Graduate Student Teaching Development, part of the Yale Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) offers teacher training workshops and the certificate of College Teaching Preparation *@CTL, 301 York St
- Graduate Writing Lab, part of the Yale Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) offers individual writing consultations, group workshops and writing retreats. *@CTL, 301 York St