The McDougal Center has services and facilities designed specifically for graduate students. Created in 1997 through a generous gift from the late Alfred McDougal ’53 and his wife Nancy Lauter, its mission extends beyond the Graduate School throughout Yale and New Haven. It's a place for graduate students and a collection of grad student-focused service offices that help you make the most of your life inside and outside of the classroom, library, and lab at Yale.
New Location - Starting September 18, 2017, the McDougal Graduate Student Center's home is a renovated space at 135 Prospect Street (Founders Hall) near Hillhouse Avenue and at the base of Science Hill. Center facilities include a Common Room lounge and study/eating space, a program room, and offices for McDougal GSL Staff and Fellows, OCS (Careers) staff, and OGSDD Diversity Fellows, along with other Center Resources. The McDougal Center is an on-campus home base for grad students outside their lab or library. The Center is the site for many grad activities and services, and hosts most major GSAS community events, from Orientation to Commencement.
The McDougal Center Endowment supports the Center facilities and the programs of 5 collaborating offices. Each office has professional staff and many McDougal Fellows, or graduate student peer leaders, who provide programs and services to serve graduate students like you:
- Graduate Student Life (GSL) at the McDougal Center has McDougal Graduate Student Life Fellows who organize fun and useful events and services to meet your needs and interests throughout your time at Yale.
- Graduate School Office for Graduate Student Development and Diversity (OGSDD) operates collaboratively with departments and programs to proactively recruit and support the needs of diverse students
- Office of Career Strategy (OCS), Office of GSAS Graduate Student and Postdoctoral services provides career advice for students in a variety of career fields
- Graduate Teaching and Professional Development, part of the Yale Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL)
- Graduate Writing Lab, part of the Yale Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL)