Yale University recognizes marriages (opposite- and same-sex) as well as civil unions or legal partnerships created by states, regardless of name. We welcome the participation of graduate student spouses or partners in many of our Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS) and McDougal Graduate Student Life (GSL) events.
Yale Graduate Student Spouse ID Badge(Access Card)
Legally married spouses or civil union partners of Yale graduate students are eligible for a Yale Sponsored Identity (SI) Access Card ID Badge, formerly called a Yale Affiliate or Spouse ID card, which confers these and other Yale privileges:
- A Yale Photo Access badge as a graduate student spouse, which may have building access privileges to certain Yale buildings (dorms, student centers, etc) as needed
- Yale Gym membership for a fee and access to athletic facilities and fitness classes
- Yale library privileges
- Peabody Museum free admission
- Yale Repertory Theatre discount student tickets/passes - as low as $10 per ticket!
- A dummy Yale NetID may be available if needed for access to certain Yale systems as a spouse member of the Yale graduate community
To Get a Yale Graduate Student Spouse Access Card - starting Sept 2017
- See if you are eligible to get a Yale Sponsored ID “Access Card” as a Student Spouse. Only legally married or civil union student spouses are eligible.
- Speak with your Graduate School office (TBD Soon) about their starting a Sponsored ID form for you as a spouse. They will need certain personal information from you as the spouse. Once the form is submitted, the review and approval process can take 4-6 days.
- When notified, go to the Yale ID Center to have photo ID made, or to obtain other access.
Privileges for Non-Married Domestic Partners
Yale offers specific resources, but does not issue Yale Affiliate ID cards, to non-married domestic partners of graduate and professional students. Your partner can contact the offices below to access certain services:
- Yale Shuttle Bus: Member of the Yale community and their affiliated family members can use the free Yale shuttle system. For nighttime shuttle/safe ride, you need to know the student's Yale NetID when calling for a ride. Download the Transloc App to track shuttles in real time.
- Athletic Facilities: Unmarried partners can purchase a Yale Gym membership at the same rate as student spouses. Visit the membership office with the student, show the Yale Student ID card and documentation indicating shared residence.
- Yale Athletic events: Buy discount student guest tickets for football, hockey and other home games.
- Library Borrowing Privileges: Domestic partners of registered graduate and professional students may qualify for library borrowing privileges - please review the Library's guidelines.
Health & Dental Care
See Health and Wellness Page for detailed coverage information
All graduate students can enroll their legally married spouse, civil union partner and/or children to use the University’s high-quality, convenient Yale Health (YH) Coverage for Spouses/Partners.
Eligible Ph.D. students also receive a GSAS Health Fellowship which covers the full cost of single-student Yale Health Hospitalization/Specialty Coverage, half the cost of the spouse/partner two-person premium fee, and the full cost for family coverage, for 2 or 3+ person family plans with dependent children under 26. For Health Fellowship questions, contact the Graduate School’s Financial Aid office.
September 15th each year is the annual deadline to enroll a spouse/partner and/or dependent children. Submit the Yale Health Enrollment Forms for Dependents each year and pay the premium fee if applicable.
- Re-enroll & submit form annually - Unlike automatic student re-enrollment in Yale Health while registered, student spouse/partners & dependents MUST be re-enrolled and the YH form submitted annually to continue dependent coverage from year to year.
Optional Dental and Vision Plans (non-Yale Health providers) are available for spouses and partners. By September 15th each year, submit the form and fee to enroll in optional dental and vision coverage for graduate and professional school students and any family members. These are not covered by the GSAS Health Fellowship.
Housing & Dining
Housing Options for graduate students and their spouses/partners include on-campus graduate apartments, Yale owned but privately managed Elm Campus apartments, and traditional privately-owned off-campus apartments and houses. Graduate dormitory residence halls are only for single individuals.
- HGS Dining Hall offers varied lunch and dinner menus weekdays, with all-you-care-to-eat for one price. HGS has family dining options and hosts monthly theme dinners sponsored with McDougal GSL. Other residential dining halls and retails cafes welcome students & families.
- New Haven dining, food shopping and farmers markets
Classes & Employment Options
As a spouse or partner of a full-time student, you may, without charge, audit or sit-in on courses in Yale College and the Graduate School.
- Audit Graduate School classes. Ask permission from the instructor and the relevant academic department.
- To receive a transcript for any courses audited you must complete an application for non-degree study and, if admitted, pay tuition fees per course.
Other New Haven area Colleges and Universities have listings for classes or employment.
- Yale Human Resources STARS application system is open to spouses and partners of graduate students. Each September, McDougal Graduate Student Life and Yale HR co-host a welcome and information session on Yale job searching for new graduate student spouses/partners.
- New Haven Works offers a jobs pipeline program people living in the City of New Haven. Registering with New Haven Works provides special access to area employers.
- New Haven area job resources
Get Connected & Involved
- Graduate Student Life Events at the McDougal Center welcome graduate students and their spouses/partners to the social, cultural, sports, family, volunteer and other events. Meet others who share your interests.
- ISPY welcomes International and US Spouses & Partners to its many activities year-round.
- Graduate Student Organizations often welcome student partners.
- Graduate Professional Student Center at Yale (GPSCY)
PULSE Young Professionals Group offers networking, professional development and monthly social events.