There are approximately 73 degree programs (Ph.D. and terminal Master's) in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. The following information is applicable for fall 2018 and is designed to assist you in identifying the general requirements and steps you should follow before starting your application.
- A Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) prior to matriculation at Yale.
- A personal statement of purpose.
- All prior study institutions at the higher education level.
- Transcripts for each listed prior study institution.
- Supporting materials.
- Results of standardized tests (if available).
- Special admissions requirements of your program.
- Three recommenders (minimum).
- Application fee (please refer to Fees section).
Identify your program of study and degree level
The Graduate School offers only programs at the Ph.D. degree or M.A./M.S. degree (terminal) levels. Please ensure that your degree preference is for a Program of the Graduate School and not one of the Professional Schools.
All Yale programs at the Ph.D. and M.S./M.A./M.A.S. levels are offered only at the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.
Please refer to our list of Departments and Programs.
The University’s professional schools (Art, Architecture, Divinity, Drama, Forestry, Law, Management, Medicine, Music, Nursing, and Public Health) have separate admissions policies and application processes outlined on the professional schools pages.
Verify the deadline for your program
Determine what standardized tests are required and register to take those tests
All applicants to all programs of the Graduate School are required to present the results of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) except as noted below.
- Applicants to the Ph.D. Program in Management may substitute the GMAT
- Applicants to the Ph.D. in Law may substitute results of the LSAT
- Applicants to the Chronic Disease Epidemiology M.S. program (only) in Public Health may substitute the MCAT
Some applicants may also be required to present the result of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- Applicants required to present the results of the TOEFL may substitute the IELTS
For specific information please refer to the section entitled Required Examinations
Begin your application