Skip to main content

Guidance for International Students

International applicants should complete the same general requirements as all other applicants. In addition, international students may also find the below information helpful. 

Note: this information is specifically intended for applicants to our Ph.D. and Master's degree programs. Applicants to a non-degree program, including Exchange Scholars, Visiting Assistants in Research, and Visiting Students, should visit the respective page for more information about admission to those programs.

Bachelor's Degree or International Equivalent

All entering students must have obtained a bachelor's degree or its international equivalent prior to enrolling at the Graduate School. A student may submit an application before receiving the degree, or while their degree is still in progress, so long as the degree will be completed prior to matriculation.

In some countries, an undergraduate or bachelor's equivalent degree is completed in three years. In such cases, the completion of a three-year bachelor's equivalent degree is sufficient to meet the application requirement.

English Language Testing (TOEFL/IELTS)

TOEFL or IELTS is required of all applicants whose native language is not English.

Applicants who have received or will receive an undergraduate degree from a college or university where English is the primary language of instruction are exempt from the English Language Test requirement and are not required to submit the TOEFL or IELTS. Applicants must have studied in residence at the undergraduate institution for at least three years to qualify. No exemptions are made on the basis of an advanced degree (e.g. M.A./M.S. or Ph.D.) from any institution. For more information, please see Required Examinations.

Although the Graduate School does not have set test minimums for admission, individual departments use these test scores as part of their holistic review of your application. Please check with the department/program to which you are applying to see if they have a minimum requirement. The Graduate School does require incoming doctoral students who received a score of 25 or below on the TOEFL Speaking section or a 7.5 or below on IELTS Speaking section to participate in a Summer English Language program at Yale in August prior to matriculation. These students are required to demonstrate English proficiency before they are permitted to teach.

Entry Term/Intake

Ph.D. and Master's students are only accepted for fall term intake. No spring term entry is permitted. Application for admission to any of the Graduate School's programs should begin in the summer or fall of the academic year prior to the one in which the applicant proposes to matriculate. Please submit your application by the specified program deadline.

Visa Questions and Processing

The Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) serves as the immigration adviser for all entering international students and their accompanying family members. Beginning in March, OISS will contact students who have accepted Yale's offer of admission with the necessary visa and immigration information.

GPA and GPA Conversion

Applicants may self-report a GPA and GPA scale in the “Academic History” section of the application. Applicants should not convert or recalculate their GPA. Some colleges and universities do not report or compute a GPA; a self-reported GPA may be omitted in such cases. 


All academic records and letters of recommendation uploaded to your application must be in English or accompanied by a translation to English.

Fee Waivers

At this time, fee waivers are only available to US citizens and permanent residents. (Except for eligible participants in the China Scholarship Council and CAPES programs).