Skip to main content


Please click here for the latest Yale University COVID-19 updates.

Special guidance for graduate students updated on Tuesday, May 12, 2020 11:52 am as follows:


Will there be a communication to admitted students about changes in process or deadlines related to COVID-19?

We have compiled FAQs for admitted students.

I have another question about admissions. What do I do?

For information about admissions, contact or your admissions dean.

Graduate Student Fellowship 

May 2020 graduates are eligible to apply to the Graduate School Alumni Fellowship. Applicants do not need to withdraw their dissertations to apply but may do so if they wish. If you receive one of the fellowships and have withdrawn your dissertation, you must immediately resubmit it upon receipt of the fellowship, for a December 2020 degree.

All other sixth-year students who withdraw dissertations are eligible for a one-term extension only (Fall ’20) and must resubmit for a December 2020 degree. 

Students currently in year seven, whether graduating in May 2020 or not, are ineligible for funding extensions though they may seek extended registration.

Who is eligible for this fellowship?

Students who submitted the dissertation for a May degree are eligible, whether or not they subsequently withdrew their dissertation submissions.  If you have not yet petitioned for the degree, you are not eligible.

If I withdrew my dissertation submission and receive the fellowship, when must I resubmit the dissertation?

Immediately upon receipt of the fellowship. Instructions will be provided in the award letter.

If I withdrew my dissertation submission and do not receive the fellowship, what happens?

You must resubmit your dissertation by the October 1 deadline for a December degree. You will be eligible for a fall term teaching fellowship and stipend at the standard departmental level.

What are the selection criteria?

Instructional and institutional need as well as demonstrated commitment to teaching will largely determine which students receive fellowships.

Will fellows have a choice in their assignments? 

Instructional and institutional need will determine assignments, but these will be made in consultation with the Fellow

If I accept this Fellowship and subsequently am offered other employment, may I decline any remaining portion of the fellowship?

By term, yes. But you may not leave your position in the midst of a term because it will disrupt educational continuity.

Spring 2020 Grading  Policies

Graduate Courses (numbered 500 and up)

  • Grading mode: Students enrolled in spring 2020 courses graded on the H, HP, P, F scale may convert the grading mode to SAT/UNSAT by submitting an electronic request by the last day of the exam period, May 6, 2020. When grades of SAT are assigned to these courses, they will count towards the degree requirements. As per typical Graduate School requirements, students must still meet the Honors requirement by achieving a grade of “H” in at least one full-year or two full-term graduate courses by the end of their fourth term of study.

  • Temporary incompletes: We are increasing the number of Temporary Incompletes (TIs) permitted per term from one to as many as each student requests.  These TIs may also be graded in the SAT/UNSAT mode. To assign a grade of TI, instructors must submit a Request for Temporary Incomplete Form.  We encourage students to complete any TIs as soon as possible. The deadline for instructors to convert a TI to a grade remains October 1, 2020.

Undergraduate courses (numbered below 500)

  • Undergraduate courses that have been approved for graduate credit using the Graduate Credit Request Form will follow the same policies outlined above for graduate courses.

  • Undergraduate courses which have not been approved for graduate credit will be graded using the A-F scale, as in the past.  The universal pass/fail implemented by Yale College for undergraduates does not apply to graduate students, nor is the SAT/UNSAT option available in these courses.

How does this change in grading affect terminal master’s students?

These accommodations apply to terminal master’s students unless they have not met the minimum grade requirements of their program or of the Graduate School. Such students should elect their courses with the standard grading scale.

International students

The Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) updates FAQs here.

Can I qualify in English this term to become eligible to serve as a teaching fellow in the fall?

Yes. Testing will be offered online at the end of the term.  Interested students should contact James Tierney ( for eligibility.

If I go back to my home country, I’m worried I won’t be able to return to campus when classes resume (due to changing travel restrictions). If that happens, will I be able to continue my studies? Will I be able to retain my visa status?

Please work with your adviser and DGS to determine if you can continue your research or take classes from a remote location. It remains uncertain if and when classes will resume this term. Before you depart, consult the OISS website for other important information

And my visa?

U.S. universities received guidance from the Department of Homeland Security that allows students to continue this semester’s courses online without jeopardizing their immigration status. This means that you must continue to be enrolled full-time and be making normal progress toward the degree. Regardless of where you are participating in online classes, your immigration status will remain active. Please note that this is a temporary accommodation in place until this health crisis ends and in-person classes resume.

If you have other questions about visas and travel back to your country of origin, please contact staff in OISS. Note that OISS remains open, although for the moment, we ask that you communicate with your OISS adviser by appointment, either through email or virtually through Zoom. To make an appointment with your OISS adviser, click here.

Can I go back to my home country, finish the remaining semester online and return to work after summer? If so, can students take an internship in the U.S. during the summer? (That is, will CPT be granted?)

Students in F-1 status can leave the US and complete the semester online. This action will not affect their immigration status. Please find more COVID-19 Student FAQs and information here.

If a student is in their last semester and needs to apply for OPT, they need to be in the US at the time they submit their application.

CPT for continuing students, on the other hand, can be authorized remotely and even if they are outside the US.

Updated Travel Restrictions & Embassy Closures

Read more about updated travel restrictions and a new memo released yesterday by the Department of State suspending routine visa services in most countries worldwide. Learn more.

Access to OISS

Per University guidance, OISS has temporarily suspended all in-person advising until April 16th and all OISS programs and events have been postponed. Read more about accessing your adviser virtually and how to get a new travel signature. Know that we are still here for you, even if it’s not in-person for the time being. Learn more.

Lab research

Laboratory research across the University should be suspended by Friday, March 20. Critical on-campus research may continue only for maintaining live collections of plants, cells or animals, for certain clinical research, and for approved COVID-19 research.

>Please review the Provost’s latest guidance (FAQs) regarding research continuity.

>Find the latest and most comprehensive COVID-19 information for researchers here.

Overseas research

I have field work /research/ conferences scheduled abroad. What do I do?

Please make other plans and cancel your arrangements for anything scheduled before April 15th. If you made non-refundable travel arrangements to attend a University-sponsored conference or other event, Yale will reimburse your costs. Please contact your adviser for guidance.

I’m on a research trip doing field work in Europe. Can I get back?  How can Yale help me?

The travel restrictions imposed by President Trump on all travel from Europe (now inlcuding the UK and Ireland) for 30 days beginning on March 13 do not apply to U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, and some others.  If these restrictions do not apply to you, you can return at any time.  However, airlines may change or reduce schedules in response to decreased travel.
If the announced restrictions apply to you, you may have to make arrangements to stay in Europe for 30 days, and possibly continue your coursework or research from abroad.


Students enrolled in direct deposit will receive stipends directly as usual.  If you receive a paper check, we strongly encourage you to enroll in direct deposit by calling Employee Services (203-432-5552).  If you choose not to enroll in direct deposit, please review your address in Banner through your SIS account ( to ensure that checks are mailed to the correct location.

Will Yale continue to pay my stipend while online classes, social distancing and other measures are in place?

Yes. You will receive your stipend in the same amount and on schedule. If you are enrolled in direct deposit you will receive your deposit as usual.  If you are receiving a paper check, we are strongly encouraging that you enroll in direct deposit.  You can do this by calling Employee Services 203-432-5552.  It is possible that if we go to critical employees only status, you will not be able to pick up your checks and they will be mailed.  If you choose not to enroll in direct deposit please review your address in Banner through your SIS account ( to ensure your check is mailed to the correct location.

Summer programs and internships

All in-person programs on campus are cancelled through June 27th. An update regarding programs scheduled to run from June 28 through early August will come as more information becomes available to us.

Your deparment or program may offer online options for study, research and work. Please check in with your adviser or program leader directly.

Teaching, advising, and meeting remotely

Can students qualify in English this term to become eligible to serve as TFs in the fall?

Yes. Testing will be offered online at the end of the term.  Interested students should contact James Tierney  at for eligibility.


All university-sponsored international travel is prohibited through August 15th. This includes study abroad (whether the program is operation bu Yale or another institution) internships, fellowships, exchanges, business travel, group gtravel, and any other activities that involve university-administered funds.  

We urge you to consider carefully any personal travel and avoid all international travel if possible. Keep in mind that any travel may be disrupted in the coming months. We know from experience that travelers may be stranded when governments impose bans with little notice. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and many foreign governments have issued guidance to discourage travel or implemented travel restrictions. It is unclear when any of these will be lifted or, once lifted, whether they may be reinstated. You may have noted news of resurgent outbreaks in parts of Asia, a further sign of the unpredictability of the pandemic and another reason to limit travel.

Visiting campus

All visits to Yale should be postponed until at least June 28th.

Other questions

I don’t see my question here. How do I contact you for more information?

Please consult the University COVID-19 website for general questions. For graduate student-specific questions or concerns, please visit the GSAS site.

If you have a question not addressed on the site, Graduate School staff are available to help you via e-mail and virtual meetings.

>For general questions, please write to
>For information about admissions, contact or your admissions dean.