Skip to main content

Do I have to take the TOEFL or IELTS?

The TOEFL or IELTS is required of almost all applicants whose native language is not English. There is one exception: 
  • Applicants who have received or will receive an undergraduate degree from a college or university where English is the primary language of instruction are exempt from the English Language Test requirement and are not required to submit the TOEFL or IELTS. Applicants must have studied in residence at the undergraduate institution for at least three years to qualify.
  • No exemptions are made on the basis of an advanced degree (e.g. M.A./M.S. or Ph.D.) from any institution.
If you are still not sure if you must submit TOEFL scores, please review this flowchart: Is English Language Testing Required for My Application? (start with the question “Is your native language English?”)