Skip to main content

Non-Degree Applicant (Visiting Student) Questions

Back to Categories List

The application is available online only.  We suggest starting by reviewing the Overview and General Requirements section before starting your application.

The application will guide you through completion and prompt you to upload required materials. You must upload certain required items, including a statement of purpose, proof of health insurance, and transcripts, You may upload additional items, such as a resume.

You will be required to designate two recommenders who must each submit a letter of recommendation online before you will be able to submit your application. One letter should come from a faculty member of the last institution you attended as a full-time student. Your second letter can come from another individual who can evaluate your academic work, intellectual ability, or academic potential for graduate work. Once you identify your recommenders, he or she will receive an email providing instructions for submitting a letter of recommendation on your behalf. 

Upon submission of your application, you must also submit an application fee of $105, plus a $25 processing fee for international applicants.

Applications are due by June 1 for Fall term entry or October 1 for Spring term entry. 

Please refer to our Fees section.

Students who have completed their bachelor’s degree or equivalent may be admitted to the Division of Special Registration as Visiting Students. Undergraduate students in combined or simultaneous B.S./M.S., B.A./M.A. or similar programs are eligible only if they can provide evidence, such as a transcript or other document, indicating that they have completed the bachelor’s portion of their program.

Visiting Student applicants must provide undergraduate transcripts showing completion of the bachelor’s degree or its foreign equivalent, along with current graduate school transcripts.

All transcripts must be in English or translated into English and must be uploaded to the online application prior to submission. Please do not mail or have sent to us any transcripts as they cannot be accommodated and will be discarded.

Once you submit your application, you must immediately submit payment for your application fee.

Your application will then be reviewed by the Graduate School and the department or program to which you have applied.

You will be notified by email when a decision is ready for you to check within your online Graduate School Application Status Portal.

Once your application and application fee are submitted, review of your application may take anywhere between two to four weeks.

Initial enrollment may be for one or two academic terms. After the initial enrollment period, students should submit a new application to enroll again, for cumulative total of four academic terms. 

Visiting Students are required to show proof of sufficient financial resources to cover tuition and living expenses while at Yale. This may include:

  • financial support from your home institution
  • an external award agency
  • personal and/or family funds

Applicants must provide documentation for each source of funds.

  • For each fellowship, grant and stipend, students must provide an official award letter detailing the amount and duration of each award.
  • For personal funds, students must provide an official bank statement.
  • For family support, students must provide a signed and dated letter from the family member indicating the amount and duration of the promised support, along with a corresponding bank statement showing sufficient funds.

For international students, the J-1 visa requires that you have substantial funding from sources other than personal or family funds. International students are required to have non-personal (non-family) external funding support of at least 50% of total costs (tuition plus monthly living expenses).

All documents uploaded showing support for resources or awards, including bank statements, must be in English.

Admitted students may purchase health insurance coverage through Yale Health by contacting Yale Health Member Services by email or calling 203-432-0246.

Yes. Spouses or same-sex partners of Yale graduate students are eligible to hold a Student Affiliate ID Card which confers certain privileges with regard to campus shuttle services, athletic and library facilities, museum admissions, film society screenings and Yale Repertory Theatre and Yale athletic events. Students and their spouses should bring valid IDs and proof of marriage (copy of license) or domestic partnership (e.g., joint lease, civil union, joint banking statement) to the Office of the Registrar at 246 Church Street to request a spousal/partner affiliate ID. Pending approval of the documentation you provide, the Registrar will issue a card permitting the spouse or same-sex partner to obtain an affiliate ID from the University’s ID Center.

No. Visiting Students are responsible for their own housing arrangements and living expenses. Information about housing options can be found at Yale Graduate Housing

Please do not contact the Admissions Office or the Associate Dean's Office of the Graduate School regarding housing or accommodations as they will not be able to assist you.

International Visiting Students should first bring their passport and immigration documents to check in with the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS). Their second stop should be to inform their Yale department and advisor that they have arrived.

Domestic students should first inform their Yale department and advisor that they have arrived.

All students should then go to the Registrar's Office to check-in and obtain further instructions about receiving their ID Card. 

Once your application has been reviewed and a decision made to offer you admission, you will fill out a Reply Form within your Graduate School Application Status Portal.

You may accept (or decline) your offer by marking the appropriate box.

Once you have been offered admission and have accepted your offer, the Office of Graduate Admissions will document you as a new student to the Office of the University Registrar. 

The Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) will then contact you by email within 3-6 business days and request that you fill out a mandatory questionnaire.

OISS will then complete a DS-2019 immigration document and mail it to you via courier. 

This document will include your SEVIS ID number, which you will be required to pay the SEVIS fee and book a visa appointment. As there are several stages to the visa application process, including the mailing and delivery of forms, you can facilitate the process by responding promptly to queries from OISS, and ensuring that you have provided appropriate documentation to support your statement of financial support. All questions regarding the visa process should be directed to OISS via email.

Visiting Students may apply for fall or spring term entry. The Graduate School does not offer summer courses.

For Fall term entry, the application deadline is June 1. For Spring term entry, the application deadline is October 1. It is the responsibility of the applicant to submit an application in a timely manner. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. 

Your tuition bill will be sent to your email address, after you arrive at Yale. The bill is payable upon receipt, and will include instructions on methods of payment.

Once you have accepted an offer of admission, you will receive an email when your Student Identification Number (SID), NetID, and Yale email address are available, with instructions for activating your NetID. Your SID and NetID will be available on your secure admissions Status Portal.

When you arrive, bring either your passport or current U.S. Driver's License to the Registrar's Office at 246 Church Street. There you will receive an authorization to obtain an ID card. After you receive this authorization, you then proceed to the ID Center.

If you are trying to contact one of the support offices and are having trouble getting a response to your questions, please contact the Registrar in the department to which you have applied. The department Registrar will be able to help you identify the appropriate person to contact.

No. Visiting Students are not eligible to receive financial aid. Most students provide their own funding through external awards or personal resources.

For international students, all funding must be documented in the application for visa purposes.

If you were unable to find the answer to your question please call or email your program directly - you may find program contact information here.