Skip to main content

International Students: Taxes & Witholding

If you are an International student, taxes may be withheld from your stipend checks depending on your country’s tax treaty with the United States. If you are teaching, are an Assistant in Research, or working a job on campus, federal and state taxes will be withheld, also dependent on your country’s treaty with the United States. The treatment of taxes are an individual concern and varies from person to person. We encourage students to contact Yale’s International Tax Office to schedule an appointment with an international tax specialist at: to discuss your individual tax treaties.  

Filing a Tax Return


The W-2 form reports income for students who have taught, received a research or project assistantship, or worked a job at Yale.  To report stipend earnings for tax filing purposes, students can obtain their year-to-date stipend total from the last check of the year. To obtain the payslip, the student can log on to the Yale portal at: Once logged in, click on My Pay and Info, located on the right side of page. Then select the tab Payslip. From the pull-down menu, select the last payslip of the calendar year.

Students who consent to receive the W-2 electronically, can print the W-2 tax document via the Yale portal. The student can log on to the Yale portal at: Once logged in, click on My Pay and Info, located on the right side of page. Then select the tab W-2. Printed copies will be mailed to students who do not consent to receive the W-2 electronically.


International Students who received stipend earnings within the calendar year, may receive a 1042-S form reflecting those earnings, which will be available mid-March. Those students will receive an e-mail from the Payroll Office when the tax document is ready. The 1042-S and payslip can also be obtained on the Yale portal.

Students having difficulty obtaining their tax forms or logging on to the Yale portal, can contact the Employee Service Center via e-mail at: or by telephone at (203) 432-5552. The Employee Service Center can assist in obtaining the necessary documents in cases where students have graduated and/or left Yale and who no longer have access to the Yale Portal or who have not provided a valid forwarding mailing address. It is strongly recommended that students who have graduated or left Yale, update their mailing address in the student system (SIS) prior to graduation. Log on to the student system at: and find your way to Change Address and select the Mailing Address tab.

International students should visit the OISS tax website at: Then select the tab Taxes & Legal Matters.