Skip to main content

I will receive my master’s degree from a school where the language of instruction is English. Am I exempt from submitting TOEFL/IELTS scores?

No. Applicants whose native language is not English must take either the TOEFL or IELTS. Applicants who have or will receive an undergraduate degree prior to matriculation at Yale, from a college or university where English is the primary language of instruction are exempt. Applicants must have studied in residence at the baccalaureate institution for at least three (3) years to qualify. 

No exemptions are made on the basis of an advanced degree (e.g. M.A./M.S. or Ph.D.) from any institution.