Skip to main content

Spaces for Student Organization Events

Requesting Spaces for Graduate Student Organization events on the Yale Campus

On the Yale campus, there is no one place to lookup all room availability or to request rooms for student organization use. As leaders you may have to get creative to find available space to meet your event needs.

  • Some spaces are only available to certain kinds of organizations, groups/members from certain schools, at certain times (after classes), or for certain purposes.
  • Many campus spaces are free for registered student organizations to use. Some may charge a use fee, or require a guaranteed fee for potential security or cleanup costs.

Here are some of spaces graduate student organizations can try to use for their events. With the very decentralized nature of room booking on campus, this list is not comprehensive, but we hope it's helpful:

Indoor Locations on Yale Campus

  • McDougal Graduate Student Center. The McDougal Center is moving to a new location at 135 Prospect Street in Fall 2017. The new Center location will not have a dedicated room for booking for student group use. Please see alternatives on this page.
  • Classrooms at Yale controlled by the University FAS Registrar -  see the Classrooms website. Email them request use of classrooms and auditoria on campus during the academic year, and to ask for access to the R25 Live Webviewer for classroom booking online.
  • Conference & Event Services (CES) controls most classrooms from May 30-August 15.
  • The Gryphon and Gryphon's Pub rents rooms for nighttime events. Most events must be 21+ if held when the pub is operating.
  • OISS International Center allows student groups to use their space on Temple Street.
  • Professional School classrooms, spaces and auditoria  - contact each G&P school directly: FES (Sage, Kroon), SOM (Evans Hall), Law (SLB, Levinson Auditorium), Medical School (SHM, Harkness auditorium and ballroom), Music (Sprague), etc. Some charge fees for use, staffing, security and/or cleanup.
  • Sterling Memorial Library - these lovely rooms can be used for university-related events, but only after Library closing hours. They require high use fees, as well as custodial and security fees.
  • Yale Dining controls large spaces for events using their catering - the Schwarzman Center and some campus dining halls after-hours or on weekends for your private events.
    • Use of the Schwarzman Center and the Presidents’ Room is only allowed for events with Yale catered food service. To guarantee your reservation of these spaces, a non-refundable deposit is required, which will be applied toward your final bill. Contact Maureen O’Donnell at 203-432-0752 for reservations.
    • Room Use Fees:
      A fee of $360.00 is charged for the use of the Presidents’ Room
  • The Cultural Centers may allow grad student organizations to use their spaces for certain related activities.
  • Chaplain's Office can help you access worship spaces like Battell and Harkness chapels.
  • Luce Hall, overseen by the MacMillan Center, allows organizations to use its auditorium, classrooms and common area, usually for a fee.
  • Woolsey Hall is reserved through the ONHSAEmail to inquire.
  • West Campus locations and its conference center are available for large conferences and small meetings, with regular shuttle service to main campus.

Outdoor Locations on Yale Campus

  • HGS Courtyard, 320 York street - As HGS is an active residential, office and classroom building until 2018, the HGS courtyard may only be used by events sponsored by the GSAS Dean's office, McDougal GSL, and HGS Dormitory, by prior authorization from the Director of McDougal GSL through September 2017; after Sept. 2017 control of HGS Courtyard is TBD.
  • Cross Campus and Beinecke Plaza (officially known as Hewett Quadrangle) can be requested for certain campus uses. See info and form from Office of the President.
  • Old Campus, Library Walk (between JE & Branford Colleges), Crescent between Morse and Stiles Colleges (facing PW Gym), Swing Space Courtyard, Grassy area on Tower Parkway in front of Swing Space, Courtyard behind SSS (corner Hillhouse & Prospect) - See info and form from Yale College Dean's office.
  • Becton Center Courtyard or Plaza - Contact Dean's office, School of Engineering & Applied Science (SEAS)
  • Graduate & Professional School area Courtyards, Lawns or other G&P spaces - contact the relevant school Dean or Dean of Student affairs offices
  • Residential Colleges - Designated spaces, including courtyards - contact the Head of College office.
  • Farnum Gardens - grassy hillside at Prospect and Edwards streets, next to Yale Farm.

Nearby Off-Campus Outdoor Locations

  • New Haven Parks, including Scantlebury Park (behind Yale Health Center & Yale Police station), East Rock, Edgewood, etc.