Skip to main content

Transportation & Safety

IMPORTANT EMERGENCY NUMBERS (Save these in your phone)

  • Emergencies (Yale and New Haven): 911 
  • Yale Police: 203-432-4400
  • Security: 203-785-5555 (including building lockouts)

Transportation Options

  • Transportation Options at Yale include walking, biking, and the Yale shuttle.
  • Bike New Haven lists routes and services, bike racks on Yale shuttle and city buses.
  • Free Yale Shuttles are available day, night, and on weekends. See route maps and service boundaries online.
  • On-campus student parking in Yale garages and lots costs $75-$100/month in Central/Science & Medical Areas; apply online in July.
  • Airport Transportation lists options to/from regional airports in CT, NY & NJ.
  • Go New Haven App allows you to pay for metered parking with your smartphone, and to monitor your time, and sometimes extend it. Available in many areas of New Haven; city meters also use credit cards, and some still take cash.
  • Parkmobile App allows you to pay via your smartphone for metered parking in downtown New Haven, including near Yale buildings; most city meters also accept credit cards.

Motor Vehicle Ownership & Operation

  • Getting a Driver’s License. Review Connecticut state requirements for obtaining a driver’s license. Once you have established residency in Connecticut, you have 30 days to transfer your out-of-state license. See the requirements for U.S. citizens or non-U.S. citizens (link is external).
  • Keeping a Motor Vehicle in New Haven. Review Connecticut state requirements (link is external) for the transfer of registration of motor vehicles if you are bringing a car or a motorcycle to New Haven or for new registration. In general, as a new resident, you must register the vehicle within 60 days of your arrival.
  • Paying Car Tax (Local Property tax on vehicles). The state of CT allows all cities and towns to charge property tax on vehicles operated in that city. The New Haven Tax Collector web page explains New Haven’s city property tax on all vehicles maintained in the city (no matter which state the car is registered). Pay your car tax on time annually or risk fines, or getting booted or towed.
    • Out-of-state Registered Cars. If you keep your car registered out of state, you should file the “Personal Property Declaration for Motor Vehicles with Out-of-Town or Out-of-State Registration.”  We encourage you to do this and to pay any city tax due. If you don't the “bootfinder” scanner can find your non-declared car in the city and bill you for taxes. They can also fine or boot/lock your car for non-payment.
  • New Haven Residential Parking Permit. If you live off-campus and park on the city streets, in certain neighborhoods, you must obtain a parking permit issued by the city.

Safety, Security & Emergency Preparedness