Orientation 2020 New Students
ORIENTATION FOR NEW GSAS STUDENTS
AUGUST 24 – AUGUST 28, 2020: Required*
2020 GSAS New Student Orientation begins on Monday August 24 at 9:00 am
Orientation is Required* for new GSAS degree-seeking students entering Fall 2020. Please make travel plans to arrive and be settled in New Haven by the weekend of August 21-23 (details in later section for late arrivals).
Monday, August 24 through Friday, August 28 - Attend GSAS New Student Orientation events.
At Orientation, you can learn practical information on resources of the Graduate School, the University and New Haven, and your degree program or department, and enjoy social events and tours to make new friends and build community. For Fall 2020, due to COVID-19 guidelines, most of Orientation will be virutual, online, or hybrid format.
See the general schedule on the GSAS Academic Calendar 2020-21 (short version)
Outline of GSAS Orientation Schedule
August 24, 9am-4pm: Required Check-in for all GSAS New Degree-seeking students (Location To Be Announced - may be online)
Required GSAS Orientation Check-in Materials
August 24 – August 28: Attend GSAS Orientation Events - Schedule coming July 2020 online
- Attend any required events, including welcome sessions and trainings.
- Pick other events you want to attend from the schedule. Some are virtual; others may be recorded.
- Enjoy interactive sessions, socials, and tours.
- Affinity Group Events. There are many activities with students from diverse backgrounds and identities. Attend any events relevant to your own situation or interests.
- August 27-28 - Department and Degree Program Orientation events may be held on these days. Contact your department or degree program for more information.
GSAS classes begin Monday, August 31, 2020
- There is no pre-registration for courses at Yale GSAS. Starting Friday, August 28 you can begin choosing or registering for courses online with your NetID. Consult with your department or DGS before making selections.
- “Shopping” for courses at Yale - You can attend courses of interest during the first two weeks of each term to see if they meet your needs. Visit the Course Registration page for information. Complete and submit online course registration by mid-September.