Orientation 2020 New Students
ORIENTATION FOR NEW GSAS STUDENTS
AUGUST 24 – SEPTEMBER 1, 2020: Required*
2020 GSAS New Student Orientation begins on Monday August 24 at 9:00 am
Orientation is Required* for new GSAS degree-seeking students entering Fall 2020. Please make travel plans to arrive and be settled in New Haven by the weekend of August 21-23 (details in later section for late arrivals).
Monday, August 24 through Tuesday September 1 - Attend GSAS New Student Orientation events.
At Orientation, you can learn practical information on resources of the Graduate School, the University and New Haven, and your degree program or department, and enjoy social events and tours to make new friends and build community. It's also fun, useful, and a great way to meet new people inside and outside of your degree program. Orientation is open to you and your family members as listed. Activities in the GSAS Orientation schedule are open to all new students in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. All events are free.
See the general schedule on the GSAS Academic Calendar 2020-21 (short version)
Outline of GSAS Orientation Schedule
August 24, 9am-4pm: Required Check-in for all GSAS New Degree-seeking students (McDougal Center, enter at 60 Sachem street)
Required GSAS Orientation Check-in Materials
August 25 – September 1: Attend GSAS Orientation Events
- Attend any required events. There are several required events for all 600+ new students, including Check-in and the August 25 GSAS Matriculation Day events and educational sessions.
- Pick other events you want to attend.
- Enjoy interactive sessions, socials, and tours. Many events, like tours and info sessions, are repeated several times during the week in smaller groups of 50-100 people.
- Affinity Group Events. There are many activities with students from diverse backgrounds and identities. Attend any events relevant to your own situation or interests.
- Department and Degree Program Orientation events may be held on Friday, August 28, Monday, August 31 and/or Tuesday, September 1. Contact your department or degree program for more information.
GSAS Matriculation Day, August 25, 2020
- The highlight of Graduate School Orientation week is Matriculation Day. At the Matriculation Ceremony, President Peter Salovey and Graduate School Dean Lynn Cooley officially welcome new graduate students to the University. The Ceremony is followed by a reception hosted by the President. After the reception, new degree-seeking students attend required all-school orientation sessions, with a picnic lunch in the tents at the McDougal Graduate Student Center. Spouses, partners, children and parents are welcome to attend the Ceremony, Reception and Lunch.
- August 25 – Required Orientation sessions: Before and after lunch on Matriculation day, you will participate in educational sessions required for all New GSAS Degree Students. If you cannot be present, please email GSAS New Student office.
GSAS classes begin Wednesday, September 2, 2020
- There is no pre-registration for courses at Yale GSAS. Starting Friday, August 28 you can begin choosing or registering for courses online with your NetID. Consult with your department or DGS before making selections.
- “Shopping” for courses at Yale - You can attend courses of interest during the first two weeks of each term to see if they meet your needs. Visit the Course Registration page for information. Complete and submit online course registration by mid-September.