Skip to main content

What's the difference between a combined degree and a joint degree?

Some departments and programs offer a joint degree between the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and one of Yale’s professional schools. If you apply for a joint degree you must submit an application to both the professional school and the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.

A combined degree is between two departments or programs, both within the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. 

  • Applicants submit one application to the Graduate School and indicate that they wish to be considered for both programs. 
  • Certain programs (African American Studies, Film and Media Studies, and Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies) are mandatory combined degrees and applicants must indicate on their application with which department/program at the Graduate School they wish to be combined. 
  • Other departments/programs at the Graduate School can be combined, but do not have to be. Additionally, some departments and programs may not be combined. 
  • Refer to the Department and Program listing for complete information.