Administrative Policy Document
Program time period:
- Five-year program extension
- Beginning July 1, 2023 through June 30, 2028
Amount of match:
35% of graduate student tuition charged to a faculty research grant when a PI covers the full 50% tuition payment for a semester.
Who can participate:
Faculty in FAS, SEAS, YSM and YSPH
- Full 50% of Yale’s PhD tuition rate (per semester) charged to a PI’s research grant for a graduate student as a Research Assistant documented in GSF at the close of the fiscal year. Tuition reduction for teaching varies between Physical and Biological Sciences due to difference in stipend rate.
Fall Semester 2023
Graduate student tuition charged to PI's grant = $12,075
Matching Program (35%) = $4,226.25
- Full 50% of Yale’s PhD tuition rate (per semester) reduced for teaching charged to the PI’s research grant documented in GSF at the close of the fiscal year.
Spring Semester 2024 – Physical Sciences graduate student teaching a TF10:
Grad Student tuition charged to PI’s grant = $8,897 (reduced for teaching)
Matching Program (35%) = $3,114
Spring Semester 2024 – Biological Sciences graduate student teaching a TF10:
Grad Student tuition charged to PI’s grant = $8,586 (reduced for teaching)
Matching Program (35%) = $3,005
Tuition expenses excluded:
- Tuition paid by university funds (gifts, endowments, GA, this includes PI start-up, 9 over 9 and other university funded research accounts), training grants, external fellowships or department funds are excluded from this matching program.
- Except for tuition payments reduced due to required teaching assignments, payments less than full 50% tuition for a semester are excluded from the match.
Process to calculate matching funds:
- Matching funds will be calculated in September each year for the prior period:
- 1st year: July 1, 2023-June 30, 2024; matching funds calculated in September 2024
- 2nd year: July 1, 2024-June 30, 2025; matching funds calculated in September 2025
- 3rd year: July 1, 2025-June 30, 2026; matching funds calculated in September 2026
- 4th year: July 1, 2026-June 30, 2027; matching funds calculated in September 2027
- 5th year: July 1, 2027-June 30, 2028; matching funds calculated in September 2028
- A report will be run from GSF in September following the year end close for the period being matched (e.g., report will be run in September 2024 for the period ending June 30, 2024).
- The GSF report will be reviewed, qualifying tuition payments will be identified, and the 35% match will be calculated.
Transfer of funds:
- Once the match is calculated the funds will be transferred to a research account for the PI’s use.
- The funds are intended to be used to supplement the PI’s research.
- Spending must be consistent with the Provost Research Guidelines.
- Funds will be transferred no later than October each year.
For Medical School: Paul Greeley (firstname.lastname@example.org)
For Public Health: Melanie Elliot (email@example.com)