Gaining experience in a workplace environment helps you you explore career options while gaining new skills. Here are some of the opportunities available to you that will enhance your graduate education.
Professional Development Opportunities for Ph.D. Students
In some cases, you may pursue a Professional Development Opportunity in lieu of a standard teaching assignment. These opportunities include:
See the Graduate Student Teaching Opportunities website for a full list of positions offered in each term.
- Institution for Social and Policy Studies (ISPS) Graduate Policy Fellows - ISPS offers fellowships for students conducting research on U.S. domestic policy.
- Kerry Fellows Program - Kerry Fellows work with former Secretary of State John Kerry ’66, who heads the Kerry Initiative, an interdisciplinary program at Yale that focuses on pressing global challenges through teaching, research, meetings, and international dialogue. Fellows work on key projects, conduct research, assist with conferences on international topics, and help write journal publications and social media content.
- McDougal Graduate Fellows - Graduate School offices appoint more than 50 student fellows who help develop and deliver services to their fellow graduate students.
- President's Public Service Fellowship - This summer fellowship enables students to work with public sector and nonprofit organizations in the City of New Haven on behalf of economic development, human development, and neighborhood revitalization.
GSAS Professional Experience Fellowship – This semester-long fellowship enables Yale Ph.D. students in years 1-6 to build professional skills, work with mentors outside their academic programs, and explore careers by working on projects in organizations and offices across Yale.
- Tsai Center for Innovative Thinking at Yale (TSAI CITY) - This program gives student innovators and entrepreneurs the skills to turn their ideas into commercial ventures.
- Yale Greenberg World Fellows Associates and Liaisons - Graduate students with an interest in international affairs and cultural exchanges can apply to beAssociate World Fellows or World Fellows Liaisons and work with the Greenberg World Fellows.