Skip to main content

International Student Resources

If you are an international student, welcome! You are in good company. Nearly half of our students at the Graduate School come from outside the United States. We have many resources specifically designed for you and your family members, in addition to the many Resources for Students that are available to everyone at the Graduate School. Please feel free to use these offices and services.

Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS)

The Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) exists to help you all through your years at Yale. Visit their website for information and stop by their offices at 421 Temple Street. 
OISS staff and McDougal Graduate Student Life (GSL) International Fellows plan useful, interesting, fun events open to the entire Yale community. Many include family members.  If you are an international student, OISS will send you a weekly email with information about events and ways to get involved. Please read it and participate!
If you are new to the Graduate School, please review the OISS Coming to Yale page for immigration, travel, and arrival information. You are required to check in with the OISS office upon arrival in the U.S.A.

English Language Program

The English Language Program (ELP) offered through the Center for Language Study (CLS) at Yale provides English language support to meet the needs of international students whose first language is not English. The ELP offers non-credit English courses in academic speaking, writing, presentation, and vocabulary during the academic year. 
Each year, selected new Ph.D. students are invited to attend the ELP Summer Academic Language Program, which is a 3-week program in August. Some entering GSAS degree students are required to participate prior to New Student Orientation. Invitations are included in GSAS admissions letters.

Taxes, Legal Issues, and Social Security Numbers

Taxes can be very complicated, especially for international students. Please see our Tax Information page to get started. Make sure you schedule an appointment with the International Tax Office
OISS provides information on Legal and Tax issues with guidelines and helpful tools for filing your annual US tax return and other legal issues for international students. 
International students who are eligible may apply for a Social Security card. Instructions and information are on the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) Social Security Number & ITIN page. 

Office of International Affairs

The Yale OIA supports the international activities of all schools, departments, offices, centers, and organizations at Yale. It promotes Yale and its faculty to international audiences and increases the visibility of Yale’s international activities around the globe.