Whether you are a first-year graduate student writing a seminar paper, an advanced doctoral candidate in the final stages of your dissertation, or at any stage in between, you need to communicate effectively. Yale has the resources to help you improve your written and oral communication skills.
The Graduate Writing Lab at the Poorvu Center for Teaching and Learning
The Graduate Writing Lab offers these programs and more:
- Graduate Writing Consultations enable you to meet one-on-one, in person or online, to discuss your writing project, whether you have a polished draft or only a basic outline.
- Peer-Review Groups provide a safe, low-stress environment to try out new ideas, share drafts of your work in progress, and receive friendly feedback.
- PitchVantage Studio for Public Speaking is designed to help you improve your oral communication skills.
- Writing Workshops, Seminars, and Panels cover a range of topics such as publishing, oral and visual communication, fellowship writing, and academic style.
- Writing Retreats and Study Halls allow you to make progress on your writing projects while enjoying the camaraderie and support of your peers.
- Turnitin can help you check whether you’ve cited your sources fairly and accurately.
- Writing Resources and Tutorials guide you through the forms of academic writing that you will encounter during your graduate career.
Other Resources at Yale
- Interview Preparation workshops and individual advising for non-academic interviews are offered through the Office of Career Strategy.
- Library Citation Management Resources address how to include references in your writing and how to generate a bibliography using EndNote, EndNote Online, Mendeley, RefWorks, or Zotero.
- English Language Program is offered through the Center for Language Study.
Need more information or have questions?
Please explore the Graduate Writing Lab website to the wide array of available resources. Contact Ryan Wepler, Director of Graduate and Postdoctoral Writing, or other members of the staff if you have any questions.