There are approximately 73 degree programs (Ph.D. and terminal Master's) in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. The following information is designed to assist you in identifying the general requirements and steps you should follow before starting your application.
- A Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) prior to matriculation at Yale.
- A statement of purpose.
- Unofficial transcripts for each prior college or university attended.
- GRE testing requirements vary by program. See required examinations for more information.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Application fee (please refer to Fees section).
- Applicants are also subject to special admissions requirements of the program they are applying to, which can be found on the program website.
Identify your program of study and degree level
This application is for Ph.D. and terminal Master's programs in the Yale Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Before starting your application, please first confirm that you intend to apply for a Ph.D. or terminal Master’s (M.S., M.A., M.A.S.) in one of the programs available at the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.
A note to students applying to one of Yale’s professional schools or programs:
- Applicants who are applying for a Ph.D. in Architecture, Forestry and Environmental Studies, Investigative Medicine, Law, Management, Music, Nursing, or Public Health, a M.S. in Public Health, or a M.A. Music should use this application to apply for admission.
- Applicants who are applying for any other type of degree at one of the University’s professional schools (Art, Architecture, Divinity, Drama, Forestry and Environmental Studies, Law, Management, Medicine, Music, Nursing, and Public Health) should visit that school’s website for further instructions, as those degree options have separate admissions policies, processes, and are administered by the professional school independently.
Verify the deadline for your program
Determine what standardized tests are required and register to take those tests
Some Ph.D. and Master’s programs require Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores. Standardized testing requirements can be found on our Required Examinations page.
In addition, applicants whose native language is not English will be required to take an English Language test (TOEFL or IELTS). See Required Examinations for more information.
Begin your application