Visiting Student FAQs

Who is eligible to apply for Visiting Student status?

Students who have completed their bachelor’s degree or equivalent may be admitted to the Division of Special Registration as Visiting Students. Undergraduate students in combined or simultaneous BS/MS, BA/MA, or similar programs are eligible only if they can provide evidence, such as a transcript or other document, indicating that they have completed the bachelor’s portion of their program.

What transcripts do I need? Do they need to be in English?

Visiting Student applicants must provide undergraduate transcripts showing completion of the bachelor’s degree or its foreign equivalent, along with current graduate school transcripts.

All transcripts must be in English or translated into English and must be uploaded to the online application prior to submission. Please do not mail or have sent to us any transcripts, as they cannot be accommodated and will be discarded.

How long does it take to review my application and render a decision?

Once your application and application fee are submitted, review of your application may take between two to four weeks.

How long may I be registered as a Visiting Student?

Initial enrollment may be for one or two academic terms. After the initial enrollment period, students should submit a new application to enroll again, for a cumulative total of four academic terms.

I have not received my bill or I want Student Financial Services to directly bill my funding agency.

Your tuition bill will be sent to your email address. The bill is payable upon receipt, and will include instructions on methods of payment.

If you have not received your bill, please contact the Registrar’s Office at If you have questions about paying your bill, please contact Student Accounts.

The application asks me to provide ‘proof of funding.’ What is this?

Visiting Students are required to show proof of sufficient financial resources to cover tuition and living expenses while at Yale. This may include:

  • financial support from your home institution
  • an external award or fellowship
  • personal and/or family funds

Applicants must provide documentation for each source of funds.

  • For each fellowship, grant, and stipend, students must provide an official award letter detailing the amount and duration of each award.
  • For personal funds, students must provide an official bank statement.
  • For family support, students must provide a signed and dated letter from the family member indicating the amount and duration of the promised support, along with a corresponding bank statement showing sufficient funds.

For international students, the J-1 visa requires that you have substantial funding from sources other than personal or family funds. International students are required to have non-personal (non-family) external funding support of at least 50% of total costs (tuition plus monthly living expenses).

All documents uploaded showing support for resources or awards, including bank statements, must be in English.

How do I purchase health insurance coverage from Yale Health?

Admitted students may purchase health insurance coverage through Yale Health by contacting Yale Health Member Services by email or calling 203-432-0246.

Will the university provide housing during my visit?

No. Visiting Students are responsible for their own housing arrangements and living expenses. Information about housing options can be found at Yale Graduate Housing.

Please do not contact the Admissions Office or the Graduate School Dean's Office regarding housing or accommodations, as they will not be able to assist you.

What should I do when I arrive in New Haven?

If you are an international student, you should first bring your passport and immigration documents to check in with the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS). Next, inform your Yale department and adviser that you have arrived. On your official start date, go to the Yale ID Center to obtain your ID Card.

If you are a domestic student or permanent resident, please first inform your Yale department and adviser that you have arrived. On your official start date, go to the Yale ID Center to obtain your ID Card.

I am an international student. When will I receive my immigration documents?

The Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) will typically contact you by email within 6-10 business days after you formally accept an offer of admission. At that time, you will be asked to fill out a mandatory survey. Once you complete the survey, OISS will prepare your DS-2019 immigration document and mail it to you via courier. This document will include your SEVIS ID number, which is required to pay the SEVIS fee and book a visa appointment. All questions regarding the visa process can be directed to OISS.

When can I start?

Visiting Students may apply for fall or spring term entry. The Graduate School does not offer summer courses.

For fall term entry, the application deadline is June 1. For spring term entry, the application deadline is October 1. It is the responsibility of the applicant to submit an application in a timely manner. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered.

Does Yale provide financial aid to Visiting Students?

No. Visiting Students are not eligible to receive financial aid. Most students provide their own funding through external awards or personal resources.

For international students, all funding must be documented in the application for visa purposes.