Visiting Assistant in Research – Extensions

If you are currently a Visiting Assistant in Research at the Graduate School, you may apply to extend your enrollment for one additional year, up to a maximum of two years of cumulative enrollment in the Division of Special Registration (DSR). 

Before applying for an extension, please note the following:

  • You must have informal permission from the program and from your proposed adviser for your extension. 
  • You must upload all materials in support of your application before you submit it.
  • You are not eligible for financial aid from the Graduate School and must demonstrate sufficient financial support when you apply.

Enrollment & Tuition

  • Tuition is charged for any portion of a month while you are enrolled, at a rate of $425 per month.
  • If you are not currently enrolled as a VAR, or if you will be taking a gap between your enrollments, please use the regular Visiting Assistant in Research application instead of the extension application. 
  • You may apply to enroll for up to one year. All appointments to the Division of Special Registration (DSR), which includes VARs, have a maximum cumulative time limit of two years.

Application Deadline

  • You must submit your application at least 30 days in advance of the start date of your extension.

Application Requirements

The application asks you to provide the following:

  • Proof of current and continuing enrollment in a graduate program (Master’s or PhD) at another institution provided by your home-university registrar. This may take the form of a letter from your home institution confirming your academic standing.
  • A Statement of Purpose of 250-500 words describing your reason for requesting an extension.
  • A form from your proposed Yale adviser confirming approval of your proposed extension. Please request this using the letter of recommendation function on the application. 
  • Proof of health insurance.
  • Application fee of $105.00, plus a $25.00 document processing fee for international applicants.
  • International applicants must also provide proof of sufficient funding to cover both living expenses and tuition costs during your extension period.
  • All documents must be in English.

Please upload all required materials in support of your application prior to submission. Letters of recommendation from your adviser and the application fee must be received before you will be able to submit your application.

Please refer to our Frequently Asked Questions for Visiting Assistants in Research for more information.


All admission decisions are communicated in writing by the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, not by departments or programs. Only letters sent directly from the Graduate School may be considered official notifications of admission.