John F. Enders Research Grants
The Graduate School offers competitive John F. Enders Research Grants to qualified PhD students in all fields of study who will be engaged in full-time dissertation research during the summer months. Preference is given to applicants who need to travel to complete field research. This fellowship funds summer research travel in the United States only. The maximum award is $3,000.
PhD students who have been enrolled for no more than six years at the time of application and who are currently working on dissertation research are eligible to apply. Grants may be used to support research travel and living expenses incurred during the tenure of the fellowship that not already covered by the summer stipend, as well as the acquisition of equipment or materials needed to conduct research in situ during research travel. It may not be used as a dissertation writing grant.
Eligible students must apply using the Student Grants Database. Enter “Enders” in the search field to access the John F. Enders Fellowship page and application link.
To receive consideration, complete applications (including letters of recommendation) must be submitted by April 1 at 1pm.
Required application materials
- A 500-word proposal describing the research and writing to be performed during the tenure of the fellowship and how this will advance the broader goals of the dissertation project overall. Note: the dissertation prospectus is not an acceptable substitute.
• An itemized budget of projected expenses. Note: living expenses that would otherwise be covered by the summer stipend will not be considered for additional funding.
• The name and e-mail address of the Yale faculty adviser who will provide a letter of reference. Students should post this information to the database at least three weeks in advance of the submission deadline to allow the faculty adequate time to provide references. Note: It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all application materials, including the letter of reference, are submitted by the deadline. Incomplete applications will not be considered for funding.
The John F. Enders fellowships will NOT fund the following:
• Research conducted outside of the United States
• Living expenses for students who already have substantial stipend support during the summer months
• Purchase of personal computers or digital recording equipment
• Research equipment that will be used beyond the life of the grant
• Generic software (such as MSOffice)
• Conference travel
• Publication costs
• Research assistants, translators, or programmers
• Research subject honoraria
• Costs incurred conducting surveys or research studies
• Laboratory materials
• Assay kits
Field of study