Skip to main content

Ph.D. Student Family Support Policy

If you are a Ph.D. student with a child or children, we know that you have additional expenses. We want you and your children to thrive while you are at Yale and are pleased to provide an additional financial subsidy to assist you with family expenses. 
For the 2020-2021 academic year:
  • An annual subsidy of $4,900 is available to Ph.D. students with a child under the age of 18. 
  • A subsidy of $1,000 per child is available for each additional child under the age of six. 
You may use these funds to help with the costs of childcare, spousal health care at Yale Health, or any other expenses you may have. 

Yale Health for Ph.D. Students with Children

Ph.D. students receive a health fellowship that covers the cost of their health coverage and the cost of their children’s health coverage, at Yale Health.  If you have a child or children under the age of 18, you may enroll them in Yale Health at no cost to you, and the Graduate School also will provide you with a subsidy that you can use to cover the remaining cost of your spouse at Yale Health or for childcare or other family needs. Please see Ph.D. Student Family Support Policy for more information and support application form.
  • If you elect to enroll your spouse in the Yale Health Family Plan, the Family Subsidy will automatically be applied to cover the spousal portion of your insurance premium. 
  • If you choose not to enroll a spouse at Yale Health, or if you have elected to waive Yale Health coverage for your family, you will receive half of the Family Subsidy ($2,450) in a lump sum once per term. You may use the money to cover childcare expenses or any other family needs you may have.
    • For each additional child under the age of six, you will also receive $500 per term.
All Ph.D. students with children under the age of 18 are eligible. There is no means testing, so you do not need to submit any financial documents to us, nor are you subject to income threshold limitations. 

Enrollment and Disbursement

You MUST enroll each term to qualify for the subsidy. The Ph.D. Student Family Support Enrollment form is available online. 
The enrollment periods for the Family Subsidy are the same as for Yale Health
  •  Fall Term: August 1– January 31 (enroll by September 30)
    • Subsidy paid on October 15
  •  Spring Term: February 1 – July 31 (enroll by February 15)
    • Subsidy paid on February 28

A New Birth or Adoption

If your child is born or adopted after the start of the term, you will receive a pro-rated subsidy for that semester. Submit the Mid-Term Birth/Adoption Event Form as soon as possible to qualify. This form is to be used only for new birth/adoption events that occur in during the term.
Adopted children under the age of 18 are eligible for the support.  When a student first requests GSAS Family Support for an adopted child, a copy of paperwork demonstrating that a legal adoption has been finalized must be submitted. If the final documentation is not in English, an English translation must also be submitted.
Please note, a new birth or adoption may also qualify you for the Parental Relief Policy. This policy stops your academic clock, offering you one fully-funded extra term in graduate school per child. See the policy for more details. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Do I qualify for Ph.D. Student Family Support?

A. If you are a Ph.D. student with a child (or children) up to the age of 18, you qualify for this subsidy.

Q. When and how do I sign up for the Ph.D. Student Family Support subsidy?

A. The Graduate School will email a Family Support enrollment form to you before the start of each term, generally in August for the Fall term and in December for the Spring term. You must complete the enrollment form each term you are eligible to receive this subsidy.

Q. If I choose the Family Plan with Yale Health and include my spouse, how does that affect my Ph.D. Student Family Support subsidy?

A. We provide full health care coverage for you and your child or children as part of your health fellowship. Adding your spouse to the Yale Health Family Plan will cost extra. Your Family Support subsidy will be automatically applied to cover your spouse’s health insurance premium. 

Q. Both my spouse and I are Ph.D. students at Yale and we have a child. Do we each get the $4,900 Family Support subsidy?

A. The subsidy is one per family, not one per Ph.D. student so you will receive $4,700 per year if you have a child who is not yet 18. If you have more than one child, you will also receive an additional $1,000 ($500 per term) per additional child under the age of six. 

Q. My spouse and I are currently covered under Yale Health. My spouse also has access to other health coverage. If my spouse leaves Yale Health and signs up for the other health coverage, how does that change my subsidy?

A. If your spouse leaves Yale Health, you will receive the subsidy as a lump sum stipend payment each term.

Q. If I take my family off Yale Health coverage in the middle of the semester, can I receive a pro-rated amount of the $2,450 per term? 

A. The Family Support subsidy is available to Ph.D. students with a child up to the age of 18 whether they enroll at Yale Health or not. Mid-term changes like births or adoptions are pro-rated on a case-by-case basis.

Q. I currently insure my children and spouse at Yale Health. Will I receive the subsidy?

A. Yes. Your subsidy will be applied automatically to pay for your spouse’s health insurance premium.  

Q. I am a Ph.D. student, and my spouse works but receives no benefits through his/her employer. If I want to enroll him/her at Yale Health, do I qualify for Ph.D. Student Family Support?

A. The Family Support subsidy is based on your having a child or children under the age of 18. If you have a child and want spousal coverage at Yale Health, your family support subsidy will be applied to your student account to cover the cost of your spouse’s health insurance premium. 

Q. Where can I get information on alternative forms of coverage for my spouse outside of Yale Health that may cost less than $4,900.  

A. has information on healthcare coverage available to you outside of Yale.

Q. What happens if my child is born or adopted in the middle of the term?  

A. We will pro-rate the Ph.D. Student Family Support subsidy for a birth or adoption. If you have a birth or adoption after the initial enrollment period for the term, please contact Graduate Financial Aid for the mid-term enrollment form. 

Q. How is the Ph.D. Student Family Support subsidy treated for tax purposes?

A: The tax treatment of these payments is same as that of your Graduate School stipend. For more information, please see Tax Information


For more information, you may contact the Graduate Financial Aid Office by email