Skip to main content

Student Employment

For Ph.D. students, the tuition fellowship and stipend are intended to free you from financial worries and enable you to focus on academics without the pressure of holding down a job. For a variety of reasons, though, some students do seek part-time work on or off campus.
If you are looking for a traditional on-campus job, including work-study positions, you can begin by searching for opportunities through the Yale Student Employment Office.
If you are specifically looking for a teaching position, use the Teaching Opportunities website to explore what is available.

Ph.D. Students

Part-time employment at the University or elsewhere should not conflict with your degree program or interfere with your academic progress. If you seek part-time employment beyond an average of ten hours per week, you need to get permission from your Director of Graduate Studies in consultation with the appropriate associate dean of the Graduate School. See the Programs and Policies handbook for more information. 

International Students

If you are an international student, you must consult the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) regarding your eligibility for employment while in the United States.
International students are limited to 20 hours of on-campus employment while school is in session. On-campus employment includes your required teaching assignments and may include other optional on-campus employment. If you have a TF Level 10 appointment, you are usually eligible to work an additional 10 hours per week; if you have a TF Level 20 appointment, you usually may not hold another on-campus position. 
J-1 students sponsored by Yale must also report in advance any employment opportunity to OISS. 
International students should direct any questions about employment eligibility to the Office of International Students & Scholars (OISS).