Some situations require students to change their registration status. If any of the circumstances below apply to you during the academic year, you need to notify us, to ensure that your registration status is accurate.
- Dissertation Completion Status
- Extended Registration
- Leaves of Absence
- Non-Cumulative Registration
- Parental Support & Relief
- Registration in Absentia
- Intent to Withdraw
Use this status if you are not eligible for full-time registration (usually because of full-time employment restrictions), but wish to complete your Ph.D. dissertation under the supervision of a member of the Graduate School faculty. DCS allows you to maintain your University access privileges such as Net ID, electronic library resources, and Yale email account. Request Dissertation Completion Status by submitting the Change of Status form.
If you are a Ph.D. student and you intend to register as a full-time student in your 7th or 8th year of study, you must submit your most recent dissertation progress report along with the extended registration application. Request Extended Registration by submitting the applicable Extended Registration form.
Policies governing a leave of absence (medical, personal, or parental) are described in more detail in the Graduate School’s Programs and Policies handbook. Please review these policies carefully to understand the benefits and limitations of the leave status you are considering. Medical and personal leaves are normally granted only if you are current with your degree requirements. No leave of absence may be extended beyond two years. Request a Leave of Absence by submitting the Change of Status form.
- Medical: If you wish or need to interrupt your study temporarily because of physical or psychological illness, you may request a medical leave. A written recommendation from an appropriate Yale Health chief physician should accompany your medical leave request.
- Personal: If you wish or need to interrupt your study temporarily because of personal matters, you may request a leave.
- Parental: If you wish to modify your academic responsibilities because of the birth or adoption of a child, you can request a parental leave. Please note: The parental leave status halts both your academic clock and your funding. This is different from the Parental Support and Relief policy described below. To arrange for a parental leave, please contact Associate Dean Richard Sleight (email@example.com) prior to the term of the birth or adoption.
Renewing or returning from a leave: To request a renewal or to resume your course of study as a registered student, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org six weeks prior to the end of your approved leave.
Use this status if you are a registered Ph.D. student who needs to acquire an academic or methodological skill that is an essential degree requirement for your program or necessary for the completion of your dissertation. This status is typically used for immersive foreign language study. Request Non-Cumulative Registration by submitting the Change of Status form.
If you are a registered Ph.D. student and you wish to modify your academic responsibilities because of the birth or adoption of a child, you may request parental support and relief during or following the term in which the birth or adoption occurs.
During your term of parental relief:
- Your academic clock stops, effectively adding an additional term to the total time to degree.
- You remain a registered full-time student.
- You receive a standard financial aid stipend and health award.
- Your academic expectations are modified to suit your specific situation.
Contact email@example.com for graduate student advising and academic support prior to the term of the birth or adoption.
Use this status if you are a Ph.D. student who will be living outside the New Haven area in order to conduct full-time dissertation research, full-time field work, or full-time study at another academic institution. Forms for requesting in Absentia registration should be filed with your DGS at least one month before the beginning of the term in which you expect to be away from New Haven. Request Registration in Absentia by submitting the Change of Status form.
If you wish withdraw “in good standing,” you must submit a change of status form and return your ID card to the University Registrar’s Office. If you were enrolled as a Ph.D. student prior to withdrawing and have met the requirements for the award of the M.A./M.S. or M.Phil. degree(s), you must also submit a degree petition form to receive the degree(s). These degrees are not automatically awarded after withdrawal. Indicate your Intent to Withdraw by submitting the applicable Change of Status form.